Courtney Wayne Simons, Ph.D.
Courtney Simons, PhD is an Assistant Professor of Food Science responsible for coordinating the Certificate and Bachelor’s degree concentrations in food systems management at the Lake Campus.
Ph.D., Cereal Science. North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND. August 2013
B.S., Food Science. North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND. December 2009
Lead Instructor - HACCP Development and Implementation, International HACCP Alliance
Certified Food Safety Management Consultant, BRI International Inc.
My current teaching assignment include FAS 2000 Introduction to Food Science, FAS 2110/2020 Food Processing Unit Operations/Laboratory, FAS 2300 Food Plant Sanitation and HACCP, 4100 Food Laws and Regulations and BMB Human Nutrition.
The goal of my research is to understand the chemical, nutritional, and functional properties of edible bean flours, and to apply this knowlwdge in developing novel functional foods.
Coordinator for the Science Day research poster competition for middle and high school students in Mercer and Auglaize County
- Simons, C. W., Hall, C. and Biswas, A. 2016. Characterization of Pinto Bean High-Starch Fraction after Air-Classification and Extrusion. J Food Process Preserv. DOI: 10.1111/jfpp.13254
- Simons, C. W., Hunt-Schmidt, E., Simsek., Hall, and C. Biswas, A. 2014. Texturized Pinto Bean Protein Fortification in Straight Dough Bread Formulation. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 69(1)
- Simons, C. W., Hall, C., Tulbek, M., Mendis, M., Heck, T., and Ogunyemi, S. 2014. Characterization and Acceptability of Pinto, Navy and Black Beans. J. Sci. of Food and Agric. DOI: 10.1002/jsfa.6948
- Simons, C. W., Hall, C. and Tulbek, M. 2012. Effect of Extruder Screw Speed on Physical Properties and In Vitro Starch Hydrolysis of Pinto, Navy, Red and Black Bean Extrudates. Cereal Chem. 89(3):176–181
- Sensory evaluation of gluten-free cookies made with pinto beans. AACC International Conference, Savannah, Georgia. October 2016
- Growing location of Lariat pinto beans and its effect on lipoxygenase activity and grassy flavors. AACC International Conference, Albuquerque, New Mexico. October 2013
- Properties of edible bean flours and their application in food processing. The 9th Canadian Pulse Research Workshop, Ontario, Canada. November 2012
- Composition and properties of pinto bean flour subjected to air classification and extrusion. AACC International Conference, Hollywood, Fl. October 2012
- Texturized pinto bean protein optimization in straight dough bread formulation. Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Conference, Las Vegas, NV. June 2012
- Characterization and acceptability of pinto, navy and black bean extrudates. AACC International Conference, Palm Springs, CA. October 2011
- Effect of additives on yellow pea gluten-free pasta processing parameters and product quality. AACC International Conference, Palm Springs, CA. October 2011
- Effects of extruder speeds on physical properties and in vitro starch digestibility of pre-cooked edible beans. AACC International Conference, Savannah, GA. October 2010
- American Association of Cereal Chemists International (AACCI)
- Institute of Food Technologist (IFT)