Ji Chen Bihl, MBBS, Ph.D.
My research interests are mainly in the areas of cerebrovascular diseases and diabetes, specifically in developing novel predictive and therapeutic avenues for hemorrhagic stroke and vascular complications of diabetes. My ongoing research topics include:
- Endothelial progenitor cells (EPCs) in vascular protection and tissue repair.
- Extracellular microvesicles (MVs) in vascular diseases.
EPC priming for functional enhancement with angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE2) and CXCR4 have been studied in my research. The effects of cardiovascular risk factors on the release and cargoes (proteins and microRNAs) of EPC-MVs are currently under investigation. The functional role of EPC-MVs on endothelial cells (ECs), smooth muscle cells (SMCs), and neuronal and glial cells are also currently being explored.
The approaches applied in my laboratory include molecular, cellular and integrative methodologies. These methods include west blot, real-time PCR, mass spectrum, microRNA sequencing, Yeast-two-Hybrid (Y2H), nanosight tracking analysis (NTA), flow cytometry, etc. Animal surgery methods (telemetric probe, osmotic minipump, microinjection) are also used in my research. The animal models used in my research include a spontaneous hemorrhagic stroke model induced in the rennin/angiotensinogen double transgenic (R+A+) hypertensive mice, collagenase-induced focal hemorrhagic stroke model and the db/db diabetic mouse model. Additionally, I use clinical samples from translational studies of diabetes and stoke patients through collaboration with clinicians.
- Bihl J, Zhang C, Zhao Y, Xiao X, Ma X, Chen Y, Chen S, Zhao B, Chen Y, "Angiotensin-(1-7) counteracts the effects of Ang II on vascular smooth muscle cells, vascular remodeling and hemorrhagic stroke: role of the NFkB inflammatory pathway," Vascul Pharmaco, 2015, pii:S1537-1891(15)00191-3.
- Xiao X, Zhang C, Ma X, Miao H, Wang J, Liu L, Chen S, Zeng R, Chen Y, Bihl J, “Angiotensin-(1-7) counteracts angiotensin II-induced dysfunction in cerebral endothelial cells via modulating Nox2/ROS and PI3K/NO pathways”, Exp Cell Res, 2015, 336 (1): 58-65.
- Chen Y, Xiao Y, Lin Z, Xiao X, He C, Bihl J, Zhao B, Ma X, Chen Y, "The role of circulating platelets microparticles and platelet parameters in acute ischemic stroke patients," J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis, 2015, pii:S1052-3057(15)00343-2.
- Xiao X, Bi K, Liu Y, Fan R, Zhao Y, Ma X, Wang J, Zhao B, Chen Y, Bihl J, “Cellular membrane microparticles: potential targets of combinational therapy for vascular disease,” Current Vascular Pharmacology, 2015, 4(13): 449-58.
- Zheng J, Li G, Chen S, Bihl J, Buck J, Zhu Y, Xia H, Lazartigues E, Chen Y, Olson JE, "Activation of the ACE2/Ang-(1-7)/Mas pathway reduces oxygen-glucose deprivation-induced tissue swelling, ROS production, and cell death in mouse brain with angiotensin II overproduction," Neuroscience, 2014, 9: 39-51.
- Yi D, Newman M, Bihl J, Chen Y, Simman R, “The preliminary study of effects of tolfenamic acid and cell proliferation, cell apoptosis, and intracellular collagen deposition in keloid fibroblasts in vitro,” Dermatol Res Pract, 2014: 736957
- Chen J, Zhao Y, Chen S, Wang J, Xiao X, Ma X, Penchikala M, Xia H, Lazartigues E, Zhao B, Chen Y, “Neuronal Over-expression of ACE2 protects brain from ischemia-induced damage,” Neuropharmacology, 2014, 79: 550-558.
- Gu S*, Zhang W*, Chen J*, Ma R, Xiao X, Ma X, Yao Z, Chen Y, “EPC-derived microvesicles protect cardiomyocytes from Ang II-induced hypertrophy and apoptosis,” PloS ONE, 2014, 2014, 2;9(1):e85396.
- Ma X, Zhang H, Pan Q, Zhao Y, Chen J, Zhao B, Chen Y, “Citicoline ameliorates hypoxia/aglycemia-induced endothelial dysfunction probably through modulating the expression of tight junction proteins,” PLoS ONE, 2013,8(12): e82604.
- Wang J, Chen S, Ma X, Cheng C, Xiao X, Chen J, Liu S, Zhao B, Chen Y, “Effects of endothelial progenitor cell-derived microvesicles on hypoxia-reoxygenation induced endothelial dysfunction and apoptosis,” Oxid Med Cell Longev, 2013, 2013:572729.
- Chen J, Xiao X, Chen S, Zhang C, Chen J, Yi D, Shenoy V, Raizada MK, Zhao B, Chen Y, “Angiotensin converting enzyme 2 priming enhances the function of endothelial progenitor cells and their therapeutic efficacy,” Hypertension, 2013, 61, pp.681-689.
- Gu X, Lu Y, Chen J, He H, Li P, Yang T, Li L, Liu G, Chen Y, Zhang L, “Mechanisms mediating propofol protection of pulmonary epithelial cells against lipopolysaccharide-induced cell death,” Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol, 2012, 39(5), pp. 447-53.
- Chen J, Chen J, Chen S, Zhang C, Zhang L, Xiao X, Das A, Zhao Y, Yuan B, Morris M, Zhao B, Chen Y, “Transfusion of CXCR4-primed endothelial progenitor cells reduces cerebral ischemic damage and promotes repair in db/db diabetic mice,” PLoS ONE, 2012, 7(11), e50105.
- Zhao Y, Yuan B, Chen J, Feng D, Zhao B, Qin C, Chen Y, “Endothelial progenitor cells: therapeutic perspective for ischemic stroke,” CNS Neurosci Ther, 2012, 19, pp. 67-75.
- Chen J, Liu Y, Tang Y, Chen J, Hu X, Liu N, Wang S, Zhang Y, Zeng W, Ni H, Zhao B, Chen Y, Tang Z, “Transplantation of adipose-derived stem cells is associated with neural differentiation and functional improvement in a rat model of intracerebral hemorrhage,” CNS Neurosci Ther, 2012, 18(10), pp.847-54.
- Chen J, Chen S, Chen Y, Zhang C, Wang J, Zhang W, Liu G, Zhao B, Chen Y, “Circulating endothelial progenitor cells and cellular membrane microparticles in db/db diabetic mouse: possible implications in cerebral ischemic damage,” Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 2011, 301(1), pp. E62-71.
- Chen J, Wang X, Wu X, Wang Y, Zhao H, Shen B, Wang G, “Intrahepatic levels of PD-1/PD-L correlate with liver inflammation in chronic hepatitis B,” Inflamm Res, 2011, 60(1), pp.47-53.
- Chen J, Wang Y, Wu X, Li J, Hou F, Wang G, “Pegylated interferon α-2b up-regulates specific CD8+ T cells in patients with chronic hepatitis B,” World J Gastroenterol, 2010, 16(48), pp. 6145-50.
- Chen J, Wu X, Wang G, “Hepatoma cells up-regulate expression of programmed cell death-1 in T cells,” World J Gastroenterol, 2008, 14(44), pp. 6853-6857.
M.D. in Clinical Medicine (2005), Medical College of University of South China
Ph.D. in Internal Medicine (2010), Peking University Medical Science Center
Postdoctoral in Pharmacology and Toxicology (2010-2014), Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine