Khalid Elased, Pharm.D., Ph.D.
Mechanisms of Disease-hypertension and diabetes
My current research interests are focused on understanding and manipulating the Renin-Angiotensin System (RAS) relevant to hypertension and diabetes, with a special interest in the use of Mass Spectrometry (SELDI-TOF-MS) to develop and optimize miniaturized novel assay to measure localized and circulating angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE ), ACE2 and renin.
Our recent work focused on the use of murine model of diabetes (db/db) to study the cardiovascular complications of diabetes. Our laboratory uses radiotelemetry, confocal microscopy, western blot and enzyme assay to investigate the balance of ACE/ACE2 in diabetes-induced hypertension.
Previous research interests were focused on extraction, purification and characterization of insulin mimetic molecules from Plasmodium yoelii. These molecules are related to Glycosylphosphatiylinositos (GPIs) which could have a potential as new antidiabetic agents.
Research is funded by NHLBI, American Heart Association, WSU Boonshoft School of Medicine.
1. Treatment of diabetes:
British Patent Application No. 9618290.2
Inventor: Elased KM, De Souza JB & Playfair JHL
Patent Number: WO98/09637, March, 1998, Patent Number: US 6,214,357, April 2001
2. Phosphoglycan messengers and their medical uses (lipidemia).
Inventors: Elased KM, Gumaa KA, De Souza JB, Rahmoune, H & Rademacher TW
British Patent Application No. 0015627.3. Filed on 26th June 2000
Published in Patents & Designs Journal (16 August 2000 No. 5805: 3559)
3. Phosphoglycan messengers and their medical uses (SLE).
Inventors: Elased KM, Gumaa KA, De Souza JB, Rahmoune H & Rademacher TW
British Patent Application No. 0012563.2. Filed on 26th June 2000
Published in Patents & Designs Journal (16 August 2000 No. 5805: 3559).
4. Screening Assay for Enzymes Involved in Patho-physiology Using SELDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry
Inventors: Elased KM & Morris M.
Attorney Docket No. WRU 0269 PA/40878.369,
US Patent Application Serial No: 11/292,806. Filed on December 2, 2005
5. Screening Assay for Inhibitors of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) Using SELDI-TOF Mass Spectrometry. Inventors: Elased KM & Morris M
US Patent Application Serial No: 11/433,050. Filed on May 12, 2006
Patent granted on February 2008 (US Patent no. 7,332,296)
Doctorate of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
Ohio Northern University, School of Pharmacy, Ada, Ohio, USA.
Doctorate of Pharmacology (Ph.D.)
University of Strathclyde, School of Pharmacy, Glasgow, Scotland, UK.
Thesis: Stress-induced hyperinsulinemia.
Advisor: Professor Brian Furman.
Master of Science in Physiology & Pharmacology (MSc)
University of Bradford, School of Pharmacy, England, UK.
Thesis: Role of myofibroblasts in wound healing.Advisor: Professor Ian Naylor.
Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm.)
University of Khartoum, School of Pharmacy, SudanUniversity of Khartoum, School of Pharmacy, Sudan
- Grobe N, Leiva O, Morris M, Elased KM (2015). Loss of prolyl carboxypeptidase in two-kidney, one-clip Goldblatt hypertensive mice. PLoS One. 2015 Feb 23;10(2):e0117899. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0117899. PMID: 25706121.
- Grobe N, Di Fulvio M, Kashkari N, Chodavarapu H, Somineni HK, Singh R, Elased KM (2015). Functional and Molecular Evidence for Expression of Renin Angiotensin System (RAS) and a Disintegrin and Metalloproteinase (ADAM) 17 in COS-7 cells. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol (in press.)
- Somineni HK, Boivin GP, Elased KM (2014). Daily exercise training protects against albuminuria and Angiotensin Converting Enzyme 2 (ACE2) shedding in db/db diabetic mice. Journal of Endocrinology 221: 243-259. PMID: 24756098.
- Boivin GP, Schultze AK, Egleide EY, Chodavarapu H, Hunter AS, Elased KM (2014). Biomechanical Properties and Histology of Achilles Tendons in db/db Mice. Muscles, Ligaments and Tendons Journal 4(3): 280-284. PMID: 25489543.
- Sharma AN, Ligade SS, Sharma JN, Shukla P, Elased KM, Lucot JB (2014). GLP-1 receptor agonist liraglutide reverses long-term atypical antipsychotic treatment associated behavioral depression and metabolic abnormalities in rats. Metab Brain Dis. 2014 Jul 15. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 25023888.
- Salem ESB, Nadja Grobe N, Elased KM (2014). Insulin Treatment Attenuates Renal ADAM17 and ACE2 Shedding in Akita Diabetic Mice. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 306: F629-F639. PMID: 24452639.
- Alghamri MS, Morris M, Meszaros G, Elased KM, Grobe N. (2014) Novel Role of Aminopeptidase-A in Angiotensin-(1-7) Metabolism Post Myocardial Infarction. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 306: H1032-H1040. PMID: 24464749.
- Chodavarapu H, Grobe N, Salem ES, Somineni HK, Madhu MN, Elased KM (2013). Rosiglitazone treatment of type 2 diabetic db/db mice attenuates urinary albumin and angiotensin converting enzyme 2. PLoS One. 8(4): e62833. PMID: 23646149.
- Grobe N, Weir NM, Leiva O, Ong FS, Bernstein KE, Schmaier AH, Morris M, Elased KM (2013). Identification of prolyl carboxypeptidase as an alternative enzyme for processing of renal angiotensin II using mass spectrometry. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 304: C945-C953. PMID: 23392115.
- Dixit TS, Sharma AN, Lucot JB, Elased KM (2013). Antipsychotic-like effect of GLP-1 agonist liraglutide but not DPP-IV inhibitor sitagliptin in mouse model for psychosis. Physiol Behav 114-115: 38-41. PMID: 23523479.
- Alghamri M, Weir N, Anstadt M, Elased KM, Gurley SB, Morris M (2013). Enhanced Angiotensin II-Induced Cardiac and Aortic Remodeling in ACE2 Knockout Mice. J Cardiovascular Pharmacol Ther. 18(2): 138-51. PMID: 23043153.
- Ernst A, Sharma AN, Elased KM, Guest P, Rahmoune H, Bahn S (2013). Diabetic db/db mice exhibit central and peripheral molecular alterations as observed in neurological disorders. Transl Psychiatry. 3(5): e263. PMID: 23715298. (Role in the study concept and design, performed experiments, interpretation of data, critical revision of the manuscript for important intellectual content and final approval of the manuscript for publication).
- Grobe N, Elased KM, Cool DR, Morris M (2012). Mass spectrometry for the molecular imaging of angiotensin metabolism in kidney. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 302(8): E1016-1024. PMID: 22318946.
- Senador D, Shewale S, Irigoyen MC, Elased KM, Morris M (2012). Effects of Restricted Fructose Access on Body Weight and Blood Pressure Circadian Rhythms. Exp Diabetes Res, 2012; 2012: 459087. PMID: 22536215.
- Sharma AN, Elased KM, Lucot JB (2012). Rosiglitazone treatment reversed depression- but not psychosis-like behavior of db/db diabetic mice. J Psychopharmacol, 26: 724-732. PMID: 22331176.
- Agbor LN, Elased KM, Walker MK (2011). Endothelial cell-specific aryl hydrocarbon receptor knockout mice exhibit hypotension mediated, in part, by an attenuated angiotensin II responsiveness. Biochem Pharmacol. 82(5): 514-523. PMID: 21684261.
- Senador D, Key M, Brosnihan KB, Irigoyen MC, Elased KM, Morris M (2010). Cardiovascular interactions between losartan and fructose in mice. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol Ther 15: 68-77. PMID: 19995939.
- Sharma AN, Elased KM, Garrett TL, Lucot JB. (2010). Neurobehavioral Deficits in db/db Diabetic Mice. Physiology & Behavior 101: 381-388. PMID: 20637218.
- Zhang N, Agbor LN, Scott JA, Zalobowski T, Elased KM, Trujillo A, Skelton Duke M, Wolf V, Walsh MT, Born JL, Felton LA, Wang J, Wang W, Kanagy NL, and Walker MK. (2010). An activated renin-angiotensin system maintains normotension in aryl hydrocarbon receptor heterozygous mice but not null mice. Biochem Pharmacol. 80(2): 197–204. PMID: 20359465.
- Kopf PG, Scott J, Agbor LN, Elased KM, Huwe JK, Walker MK (2010). Cytochrome P4501A1 is Required for Dioxin-induced Superoxide Anion Production, Endothelial Dysfunction, and Hypertension. Toxicol Sci 117(2): 537-546. PMID: 20634294.
- Senador D, Kanakamedala K, Irigoyen MC, Morris M, & Elased KM (2009). Cardiovascular/autonomic phenotype for db/db diabetic mice. Exp Physiol. 94(6): 648-658. PMID: 19218356.
- Elased, K.M., Cunha TS, Marcondes FK, Morris M (2008). Brain Angiotensin Converting Enzymes: Role of ACE2 in Processing Angiotensin II in mice. Exp Physiol. 93: 665-675. PMID: 18263657.
- Farah V, Elased KM, Morris M (2007). Genetic and Dietary Interactions: Angiotensin AT1a Receptors in response to a high Fructose Diet. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 293(2): H1083-1089. PMID: 17449556.
- Cunha TS, Farah V, Paulini J, Pazzine M, Elased KM, Marcondes FK, Irigoyen MC, Angelis De K, Mirkin LD, Morris M (2007). Relationship between renal and cardiovascular changes in a murine model of glucose intolerance. Regul Pept 139(1-3): 1-4. PMID: 17207869.
- Elased KM, Morris M. Screening of agent that inhibit entry of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus involves applying mixture obtained by adding angiotensin converting enzyme to the agent, on pre-coated protein chip; and subjecting to mass spectrometry. Derwent Primary Accession Number: 2007-120805 .
- Farah V, Elased, KM, Chen Y, Key MP, Cunha TS, Irigoyen MC, Morris M. (2006). Nocturnal Hypertension in Mice Consuming a High Fructose Diet. Auton Neurosci: Basic and Clinical 130:41-50. PMID: 16843071.
- Elased KM, Morris M. Quantifying enzymatic activity of enzyme with known substrate, by adding enzyme substrate to sample to generate enzymatic activity product mixture, loading mixture onto protein chip, reading chip by mass spectrometry and quantifying data. Derwent Primary Accession Number: 2006-556499 .
- Elased KM, Cunha TS, Gurley SB, Coffman TM, Morris M (2006). New mass spectrometric assay for angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 activity. Hypertension. 47(5): 1010-1017. PMID: 16585421.
- Elased KM, Cool DR & Morris M (2005). Novel Mass Spectrometric Methods for Evaluation of Plasma Angiotensin Converting Enzyme and Renin Activity. Hypertension. 46(4): 953-959. PMID: 16103259.
- Elased KM, Gumaa KA, de Souza JB, Playfair JHL, Rademacher, TW (2004). Improvement of glucose homeostasis in obese diabetic db/db mice given Plasmodium yoelii Glycosylphosphatidylinositol. Metabolism. 53(8): 1048-1053. PMID: 15281017.
- Elased KM, Gumaa K, Rahmoune H, Rademacher T (2002). A new carbohydrate derivatized phosphatidyl cyclitol substance useful for reducing blood glucose levels, particularly in the treatment of diabetes. Derwent Primary Accession Number: 2002-114737 .
- Playfair JHL, Elased KM, De Souza JB (2001). Treatment of diabetes. Official Gazette of the United States Patent and Trademark Office Patents Volume: 1245 Issue: 2 Published: April, 2001.
- Elased KM, Gumaa, KA, de Souza, JB, Rahmoune H, Playfair JHL, Rademacher TW (2001). Reversal of Type 2 diabetes in mice by products of malaria parasites: II. Role of Inositol phosphoglycans. Mol Genet Metab. 73(3): 248-258. PMID: 11461192.
- Elased KM, De Souza, JB & Playfair, JHL (2000). Reversal of type 2 diabetes in mice by products of malaria parasites:1. Effect of inactivated parasites. Metabolism. 49(7): 937-941. PMID: 10910007.
- Taverne J, Sheikh N, Elased K, Playfair J, Scott M, Saggerson D. (1997). Reply: Malaria Toxins: TNF-mediated phenomena. Parasitology Today 13(7): 276-277.
- Elased KM, Taverne J, Playfair JHL (1996). Malaria, blood glucose, and the role of tumour necrosis factor (TNF) in mice. Clin Exp Immunol. 105(3): 443-449. PMID: 8809132.
- Elased KM & Playfair JHL (1996). Reversal of hypoglycaemia in murine malaria by drugs that inhibit insulin secretion. Parasitology. 112(6): 515-521. PMID: 8684825.
- Taverne J, Sheikh N, Elased K, Playfair J, Scott M, Saggerson D (1996). Malaria Toxins: TNF-mediated phenomena. Parasitol Today 12(7): 290. PMID: 15275196.
- Taverne J, Sheikh N, Elased K, Playfair J (1995). Malaria Toxins: Hypoglycaemia and TNF production are induced by different components. Parasitol Today. 11(12): 462-463. PMID: 15275384.
- Elased KM, De Souza, JB & Playfair JHL (1995). Blood stage-malaria infection in diabetic mice. Clin Exp Immunol 99(3): 440-444. PMID: 7882567.Elased K & Playfair JHL (1994). Hypoglycaemia and hyperinsulinaemia in rodent model of severe malaria infection. Infect Immun. 62(11): 5157-5160. PMID: 7927799
- Elased KM & Furman BL (1994). Acute stress-induced hyperinsulinaemia in the pertussis toxin-treated rat: Possible role of humoral b-cell-tropic factors. Metabolism. 43(10): 1221-1225. PMID: 7934972.
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIP:
2014- Present: Member of the American Society of Physiology (ASP).
2013- Present: Member of the American Society of Nephrology (ASN).
2011- Present: Member of the American College of Clinical Pharmacy (ACCP).
2010- Present: Delegate of Boonshoft School of Medicine to the United States Pharmacopeia (USP) Conventions.
2008 Elected Fellow in the American Heart Association (AHA) Council of High Blood Pressure.
2005- 2009: Member of the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET).
2004- Present: Member of the American Heart Association (AHA).
1999- Present: Member of the American Diabetic Association (ADA).
1990- Present: Member of the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD).