Richard Simman, M.D.
- In order to determine the origin of the keloid phenotype, studies the signal transduction pathways initiated by the extracellular matrix resulting in altered gene transcription in keloid and non-keloid fibroblasts.
- Effect of mitomycin-c of keloid fibroblast proliferation: An in-vitro study.
- The Effect of Hyaluronic Acid (HA) on Keloid Fibroblasts.
- Worked with pioneers of keratinocyte cell biology and the related culture techniques necessary for analysis of factors responsible for the CEA (Cultured Epithelial Allograft) enhancement of wound healing and the use of CEA (Autografts) for the permanent engraftment for the treatment of third degree burn patients.
- Isolation techniques of adult multipotent bone marrow stem cells and their use in angiogenesis. Improved ischemic random flap survival through the use of multipotent stem cells and angiogenic growth factors, An animal study.
- The effect of Platelet Rich Plasma in enhancing the healing process of bone fracture in rats.
- Molecular Mechanisms and Modeling of Skin Irritation from JP-8 Fuel.
- A Carbon Monoxide Study: How Long After Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning Can Hyperbaric Oxygen (HBO) Therapy Prevent Irreversible Brain Damage? Is 100 Percent Normobaric Oxygen as Effective as HBO? A collaborative effort between the Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology and the United States Department of Defense, Naval Health Research Center.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery, Diplomate
- Founding President and Chair of the American Board of Wound Medicine and Surgery
- Simman R. (August 2013). Letter from the Editor. Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists.4(2): 21.
- Simman R, Hoffman A, Hoing J, Newman M. (August 2013). Role of Hyaluronic Acid Treatment in the Prevention of Keloid Scarring. Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists. 4(2)23-31.
- Simman R, Reynolds D, Saad S. (August 2013). Bedside Bleeding Control, Review Paper and Proposed Algorithm. Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists. 4(2): 40-44.
- Simman R, Phavixay L (June 2013). Bilateral Toes Necrosis Resulting from Norepinephrine Bitartrate Usage. Advances in Skin & Wound Care. 26(6):254-256.
- Simman R, Reynolds D. (2013). Skin Hypersensitivity to Sun Light Due to Doxycycline Ingestion Causing Hand Partial-Thickness Burn. Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists. 4(1):16-17.
- Simman R, Phavixay L, Reynolds D. (2013). Non AIDS Kaposi’s Sarcoma Leading to Lower Extremities Wounds, Case Presentations and Discussion. Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists. 4(1):13-15.
- Simman R, Phavixay L (June, 2012). Split-Thickness Skin Grafts Remain the Gold Standard for the Coverage of Large Acute and Chronic Wounds. Journal of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists. 3(3):55-59.
- Magro C, Simman R, Jackson S (May 2011). Calciphylaxis, Review article. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. 2(4):66-72.
- Simman R, Fleck C (Dec 2010). Modern College Wound Dressings Function and Purpose. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. (2):50-54
- Simman R, Haluschek J, Jackson S (June 2010). Complicated Lower Extremity Wound Cause by ITP Leading to Hypercoagulable State, A Team Approach for Limb Salvage. A case report and literature review. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. (2):28-31.
- Fleck C, Simman R (March 2010). Use of Alternative Support Surfaces to Air-Fluidized for the Care of Complex Wounds, Post-Flap and Post-Graft Patients. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. (2):4-8.
- Simman R, Kirkland B. (January 2010). Gammopathy-Associated Acrosclerosis as a Cause of Flexion Contractures in an Older Adult Patient: A Case Report and Literature Review. Skin & Wound Care. 23(1):25-28.
- Simman R (December 2009). Posttraumatic Tophaceous Gout: A Case Report and Literature Review. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. 1(4):114-116.
- Simman R (July 2009). Letters to the Editor, The use of Medihoney in the treatment of chronic wounds. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. 1(3):101.
- Simman R (April 2009). Letters to the Editor, Discussion on edema management in lower extremities after flap or skin graft surgery. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. 1(2):73-74.
- Simman R (January 2009). Wound Closure and the Reconstructive Ladder in Plastic Surgery. The Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists. 1(1):6-11.
- Simman R, Hoffman A, Bohinc RJ, Peterson C (September 2008). Role of Platelet-Rich Plasma in Acceleration of Bone Fracture Healing. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 61(3):337-344.
- Spencer B, Abraham S, Young S, Simman R (Nov-Dec 2007). The Nature of Wound Extremities. Podiatry Management. 217-222.
- Gookoo C, Abraham S, Simman R (August 2007). Cell Death, Tissue Death, and Wound Healing. Podiatry Management. 147-152.
- Simman R, Sanger C, Thompson J, DeFranzo JA (May 2005). Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans of the Face, Surgical Management. J Craniofacial Surgery. 16(3):439-443.
- Simman R, Craft C, McKinney B (May 2005).Improved Ischemic Random Skin Flap Survival Through the Use of Nonhematopoietic Bone Marrow Stem Cells and Angiogenic Growth Factors. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 54(5):546-552.
- Moriera-Gonzalez A, Simman R, Jackson IT, Pieper DR, Cambra JB (March 2005). Skull Base Tumors: A Comprehensive Review of Transfacial Swing Osteotomy Approaches. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 115(3):711-720.
- Eisenbud D, Hettrick H, Evans C, Simman R (September 2004). Interdisciplinary Certification in Wound Management: Five Year Results Using the CWS Examination. Wounds. 17(7):336-340.
- Simman R (September 2004). Medical Plantar Arch Pinch Graft as an Alternative Technique to Resurface Moderate Size Plantar and Palmar Wounds. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 53(3):256-260.
- Simman R (July 2004). Management of Aplasia Cutis Congenital in a Non-Scalp Location, Br J of Plastic Surgery. 57(5):469-470.
- Simman R, Forte R, Sliverbug B, Moriera-Gonzalez A (2004). A Comparative Histological Pilot Study of SkinGraft Take with Tie-Over Bolster Dressng versus Vacuum Assisted Closure in a Pig Model, Wounds. 16(2):76-80.
- Simman R (2004). Brief Communication: Reconstruction Aplasia Cutis Congenita (Group V) of the Trunk in a Newborn. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 113(3):1103.
- Simman R, Alani H, Williams F (2003). The Effect of Mitomycin-C on Keloid Fibroblasts: An In-Vitro Study. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 50(1):71-76.
- Simman R, Jackson IT, Andrus L (2002). Prefabricated Buccal Mucosu Lined Flap that could be used for Vaginal Reconstruction. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 109(3):1044-1049.
- Jackson IT, Simman R, Tholen R, DiNick V (2001). A Successful Long-Term Method of Fat Grafting: Recontouring of a Large Subcutaneous Postradiation Thigh Defect with Autologous Fat Transplantation. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 25:165-169.
- Simman R, Fiette V (2000). Closed Rupture of FDP Tendon of the Fifth Digit: Case Report. Hospital Physicians. 36(7):55-57.
- Simman R, Priebe CJ, Simon M (2000). Reconstruction of Aplasia Cutis Congential of the Trunk in a Newborn Infant Using Acellular Dermal Graft and Cultured Epithelial Autografts. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 44(4):451-454.
- Chipev CC, Simman R, Hatch G, Katz AE, Siegel DM, Simon M (2000). Myofibroblast Phenotype and Apoptosis in Keloid and Palmar Fibroblasts in-vitro. Cell Death Differ. 7(2):166-176. Simman R, Talisman R, Hatch G, Soroff HS, Simon M (1999). Cultured Palmar Keratinocytes after Auto Engraftment to Plantar Surface Maintain Site and Function Specificty. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. 104(1):175-179.
- Simman R, Priebe C Jr, Soroff HS, Simon M (Oct 3-7, 1998). Reconstruction of Aplasia Cuits Congenita of the Trunk in a Newborn Infant using AlloDerm and Cultured Epithelial Autografts. Published at the Plastic Surgery Forum, Annual Meeting of the American Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Boston, MA. 109-112.
Louvain Catholic University, Brussels, Belgium. Graduated with title of Doctor in Medicine, Surgery, and Delivery.
Resident in General Surgery St. Luke's/Roosevelt Hospital Center (Teaching Hospital of Columbia University), New York, N.Y.
Fellow in Burn Surgery, State University of New York at Stony Brook, N.Y.
Research Scientist at the Living Skin Bank, State University of New York at Stony Brook, N.Y. Basic science and clinical research on: Frozen cultures epithelial allografts and autografts and their use in second and third degree burns. In-vitro research on keloid fibroblasts.
Resident in Plastic Surgery, Providence Hospital, Southfield, Mich.
- The American Burn Association, 2001–present
- The Plastic Surgery Research Council, 2003–present
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2003–present
- Associate Fellow of American College of Surgeons, 2003–2007
- Dayton Plastic Surgery Society, 2003–present
- American Society for Aesthetics Plastic Surgery Inc. (candidate), 2003–present
- American Academy of Wound Management, 2003–December 2011
- Montgomery Country Medical Society, 2004–present
- Graduate Faculty (Graduate Studies and Research), 2005–present
- Member of the Medical Science Monitor International Reviewers Panel (IRP), 2006–present
- Founding President of the American Board of Wound Medicine and Surgery, October 2011–present
- Past president of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, January 2007–December 2009
- Fellow of the American College of Clinical Wound Specialists (FACCWS), 2005–present
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons (FACS,) 2007–present
- Editor-in-chief of the Journal of the American College of Certified Wound Specialists, 2009–present