Scott E. Baird, Ph.D.
- Ph.D. Molecular Biology, 1988, University of Connecticut
- Post-Doctoral Fellow, 1988-1990, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Research Assistant Professor, 1991-1994, University of Pittsburgh
Natural history, morphological evolution, and speciation genetics in the nematode genus Caenorhabditis. In particular I am interested in develomental constraint and the evolution of adaptive gene complexes. Recent projects include characterizations of nematode-isopod associations, the evolution of caudal papillae pattern in male nematodes, and characterizations of post-zygotic reproductive isolation mechanisms in various combinations of Caenorhabditis speceis.
NSF 1335772 Acquistion of Ion Torrent Personal Genome Machine to establish high-throughput sequencing capability for ecological and environmental biology. $123,300 PI: Oleg Paliy, coPIs: Scott E. Baird, Donald F. Cipollini, Jeffery L. Peters, John O. Stireman. 1 September 2013 – 31 August 2014.
- S. E. Baird and S. R. Seibert (2013) Reproductive isolation in the Elegans-Group of Caenorhabditis. Natural Science 5(4A): 18 – 25.
- S. E. Baird and R. Stonesifer (2012) Reproductive isolation in Caenorhabditis briggsae: dysgenic interactions between maternal- and zygotic-effect genes result in a delayed development phenotype. Worm 1(4): 1 – 7.
- Ross, J. A., D. C. Koboldt, J. E. Staisch, H. M. Chamberlin, B. P. Gupta, R. D. Miller, S. E. Baird and E. S. Haag (2011) Caenorhabditis briggsae recombinant inbred line genotypes reveal inter-strain incompatibilities and inter-species divergence of recombination rate. PLoS Genetics, 7(7): e1002174.
- Woodruff, G. C., O. Eke, S. E. Baird, M.-A. Félix and E. S. Haag (2010) Fertile interspecies hybrids in Caenorhabditis and their implications for the evolution of hermaphroditism. Genetics 186: 997 - 1012.
- Koboldt, D. C., J. Staisch, B. Thillainathan, K. Haines, S. E. Baird, H. M. Chamberlin, E. S. Haag, R. D. Miller and B. P. Gupta (2010) A toolkit for rapid gene mapping in the nematode Caenorhabditis briggsae. BMC Genomics 11:236
- Hillier, L. W., R. D. Miller, S. E. Baird, A. Chinwalla, L. A. Fulton, D. C. Koboldt, R. H. Waterston (2007) Comparison of C. elegans and C. briggsae genome sequences reveals extensive conservation of chromosome organization and synteny. PLoS Biology 5(7): e167.
- Dolgin, E. S., B. Charlesworth, S. E. Baird and A. D. Cutter (2007) Inbreeding and outbreeding depression in Caenorhabditis nematodes. Evolution 61: 1339–1352.
- Cutter, A. D., S. E. Baird and D. Charlesworth (2006) High nucleotide polymorphism and rapid decay of linkage disequilibrium in wild populations of Caenorhabditis remanei. Genetics 174: 901-913.
- Baird, S. E. and H. M. Chamberlin (2006) Caenorhabditis briggsae methods, WormBook, ed. The C. elegans Research Community, WormBook, doi/10.1895/wormbook.1.128.1
- Baird, S. E., C. R. Davidson and J. C. Bohrer (2005) The genetics of ray pattern variation in Caenorhabditis briggsae. BMC Evolutionary Biology 5: 3