I am a full professor in the Department of Biomedical, Industrial and Human Factors Engineering at Wright State University. I obtained my Ph.D. from Operations Research and Industrial Engineering Program at the University of Texas at Austin in 2003. My research focuses in the area of data mining, simulation, optimization, and business intelligence and the solution of practical problems in manufacturing, logistics, transportation, media and service management. These projects include a) crew scheduling and recovery for airlines, b) advertising allocation for media industry, c) equipment and personnel management for United States Postal Service, d) computational inventory simulation and optimization for Kroger (Pharmacy, Fresh Produce and General Mechadise), e) data mining and optimization in education (enrollment management), and f) business intelligence in customer relationship managment (Jewelry)
More recently, our research in retail studies with Kroger Corp has drawn worldwide recognication. For example, a) the Kroger Pharmacy Inventory Simulation and Optimization Project, "has reduced out-of-stocks by 1.5 million prescriptions, lowered inventory by more than $100M, and yielded additional revenue of more than $70M since Oct 2011. " and was selected as one of the six finalists worldwide, with BaoSteel, Chevron, Dell, Delta and McKesson, for the 2013 Franz Edelman Prize. b) the project " Quevision Improve Front End Service Level Managment at Kroger Co. " was again selected as one of the twelve semi-finalists worldwide. These research are the testmonies of the high world-wide reputation of the research studies. Besides these Kroger studies, our research was funded by the General Electric Company, Linear Power Corp., Peco II Corp.,Rittal Corp., David J. Joseph Corp., the United State Postal Service, and Continental Airlines, and the National Science Foundation.
Ph. D. The University of Texas at Austin, August, 2003
Operations Research and Industrial Engineering Program
M. S. Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China, May, 1998
B.S. Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China, May, 1994
1. Kellar, G., G. Polak* and X. Zhang (2015), “Lot Sizing and Synchronization of the Mean for Supply Chain Networks,” International Journal of Production Research, in press.
2. Khambhampati, S., X Zhang* and P. Calyam, (2015) “A Tabu Search Algorithm for a Capacitated Clustering Problem,” International Journal on Operations Research, in press.
3. Luo, K., X. Zhang (2015), “A Simple Proof Technique for Scheduling Models With Learning Effects,” Optimization Letters, accepted, online version appeared on March, 9(7), 1411-1420.
4. Sainathuni, B., P.J. Parikh*, X. Zhang, and N. Kong (2014), “The Warehouse-Inventory-Transportation Problem for Multi-Echelon Supply Chain," European Journal of Operational Research, 237:690-700.
5. Zhang, X.*, D. Meier, Y. Liu, B. Bonner, and L. Lin (2013), “Kroger Uses Simulation and Optimization to Enhance Pharmacy Inventory Management”, Interface. 44(1):74-80.
6. Liu, Q., X. Zhang*, Y. Liu and L. Lin (2013), “Spreadsheet Inventory Simulation and Optimization Models and its application in a National Pharmacy Chain”, INFORMS Transactions on Education, Special Issue Dedicated to the Memory of Paul A. Jensen. 14(1):13–25.
7. Liu, Q., X. Zhang* and X Chen, (2013), “Inter-Fleet and Intra-Fleet Models for Crew Recovery Problems,” Transportation Research Record (TRR), Journal of the Transportation Research Board, 2336, 75-82.
8. Liu, Q.*, X. Zhang, X. Chen and L. Wang (2013) “ The Resource Access Authorization Problem in a Collaborative Manufacturing System,” Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 25:413-425.
9. Xiao. R.*, Z., Cai, and X. Zhang(2012), “An Optimization Approach to Risk Decision-Making of Closed-Loop Logistics Based on SCO Model,” Optimization, 61:10, 1221-1251.
10. Xiao, R.*, Z., Cai and X. Zhang (2012) “A Production Optimization Model of Supply Driven Chain with Quality Uncertainty” Journal of System Science and System Engineering, 21(2): 144-160.
11. Zhang, X.* ,M. Prajapati and E. Peden (2011). “Stochastic Production Planning Under Demand and Market Uncertainty,” International Journal of Production Research, 49:7, 1957-1975.
12. Aleman, R., X. Zhang and R. Hill (2010), “An Adaptive Memory Algorithm for the Split Delivery Vehicle Routing Problem,” Journal of Heuristics, 16:3, 441-473.
13. Aleman, R., X. Zhang and R. Hill (2009) “A Ring-Based Diversification Scheme for Routing Problems,” International Journal of Mathematics of Operational Research, 1:1, 163-190.
14. Zu, Y., R. Xiao and X. Zhang (2009) “Automated Conceptual Design of Mechanism Using Enumeration and Functional Reasoning,” International Journal of Material and Production Technology, 34:3 273-294.
15. Xiao, R.*, Z. Cai and X. Zhang (2009) “An Optimization Approach to Cycle Quality Network Chain Based on Improved SCOR Model,” Progress in Natural Science, 19, 881-890.
16. Zhang, X.*, A. Chakravarthy and Q. Gu (2009). “Review of Model and Methodologies for Scheduling Problems at USPS Mail Processing and Distribution Centers,” International Journal of Operations Research, 5:4 445-467.
17. Zhang, X.*, A. Chakravarthy and Q. Gu (2009). “Equipment Scheduling under Disruptions at USPS Mail Processing and Distribution Centers” Journal of Operational Research Society, 60(5), 598-610.
18. Zhao, Q., X. Zhang* and R. Xiao (2008). “PSO Algorithm for Partner Selection in Virtual Enterprise”, Progress in Natural Science, 18:11, 1445-1552.
19. Zhang, X.*, H. Chen and A. Chakravarthy (2008). “Structure Design and Optimization for 2D LFSR Based Multi-Sequence Test Generator in Built-In Self-Test,” IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, 57:3, 651-663.
20. Zhang, X.*, (2006) “A Mathematic Model for the Television Primetime Advertising Allocation Problem,” International Journal of Operations Research, 1:3, 302-322.
21. Zhang, X.* and J. F. Bard, (2006) “A Multi-Period Machine Assignment Problem,” European Journal of Operational Research, 170:2, 398-415.
22. Zhang, X.* and J. F. Bard, (2006) “Comparative Approaches to Equipment Scheduling in High Volume Factories”, Computer and Operations Research, 37:1, 132-157.
23. Zhang, X.* and J. F. Bard, (2005) “Equipment Scheduling at Mail Processing and Distribution Centers,” IIE Transactions on Scheduling and Logistics, 37:2, 175-187.
Journal Publications (Under Review)
1. G. K. Taskirans, X. Zhang*. (2015) “Staffs Scheduling with Cross Training,” Computer and Operations Research, under review
2. S. Lin, J. Bard*, A. I. Jarrah, and X. Zhang(2015), “Route Design for Delivery Vehicles with Backhauling.” submitted to Computer and Operations Research,
3. Q. Liu*, X. Chen, X. Zhang and L. Wang, (2015), “A Group Based Heuristic Search Algorithm for the Two-Dimensional Strip Cutting Problem”, European Journal of Operations Research (under review)
2014 QueVision – Real Time Queuing Management System for Kroger System
Semi-Finalist, One of Twelve World Wide
2014 Franz Edelman Award for Excellence in Operations Research and Management Science by INFORMS
2013 Kroger Pharmacy Inventory Simulation and Optimization
Edelman Laureate, One of the Six Finalists World Wide,
2013 Franz Edelman Award for Excellence in Operations Research and Management Science by INFORMS
2012 Inventory Simulation and Optimization
Semi-Finalist, One of Twelve World Wide
The Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice by INFORMS
Outstanding Young Member INFORMS (Dayton – Cincinnati Chapter), 2008
Day Daily News, Jan 31, 2013, “WSU prof saves Kroger more than $170 million”
Stores Magazine, Jan/2014, “Business analytics punch up Kroger pharmacy operations”