Yong received his MS and Ph.D. degrees in EE from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1999 and 2002, respectively, and his BS degree in Electrical Power Engineering from Tsinghua University in 1996. He also received a Certificate of Technology Commercialization from The Ohio Department of Higher Education through the I-Corps@Ohio program in 2017.
Yong teaches a broad portfolio of computer science and engineering courses that include entry-level computer programming courses on Java/C++, as well as advanced courses on distributed/mobile/cloud/sensory computing. He also participates in cross-disciplinary course offerings, such as applied business, technology entrepreneurship and graduate medical educations. Among his latest innovations in engineering and computer science education is the "Friday Project Cracking", an NSF I-Corps style project experience embedded in both undergraduate and graduate classes. (Watch sample video demo from the final pitch deck presentations of student teams: AR Story Book, A-SL and DrummAR.)
Yong directs the SMART Lab (Sustainable - Mobile - Autonomous - Real-time - Translational), and engages in both basic and applied researches in AI, AR/VR, IUX and human-AI teaming. His research intends to help address real-world challenges through creative applications of technologies that provide effective, scalable and sustainable solutions. His ultimate goal is to bring real-world opportunities and experiences in various industries to help prepare and develop Computer Science and Engineering students into first caliber problem solvers.
Yong actively participates in transdisciplinary researches in Art, Aviation, Cyber, Education, Finance, Medicine, Smart Cities, Transportation, and etc. He collaborates closely with subject matter experts from WSU Boonshoft School of Medicine, College of Nursing and Health, College of Education and Human Services, School of Music, The Eastman School of Music, The New World Symphony, Kettering Health Networks, Premier Health, UC Health, Dayton VA Medical Center, Dayton Entrepreneur Center and other local industries.
Yong’s researches are sponsored by federal and state agencies such as HHS AHRQ, HHS CMS, HHS SAMHSA, NSF, Ohio Federal Research Networks, Ohio Development Services Agency, Ohio Dept. of Medicaid, Ohio Dept. of Higher Education, as well as industry sponsors.
Since 2016, over 60 students (PhD dissertation, MS thesis, MS Cyber projects, graduate independent studies, undergraduate research experience, and etc.) have graduated from the SMART Lab. His students have started successful careers in various industry and government organizations, e.g., Amazon, AT&T, Cerner, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, Northrop Grumman, Qualcomm, Sogeti, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Walmart Labs, WPAFB, etc.
Recently directed dissertation, thesis and cyber projects:
- Christopher Rave, MS thesis, “Edge Processing of Image for UAS Sense and Avoidance”, 2021
- Nick Speranza, PhD dissertation, “Adaptive Two-Stage Edge-Centric Architecture for Deeply-Learned Embedded Real-Time Target Classification in Aerospace Sense-and-Avoidance Applications”, 2021.
- Derek Desentz, MS thesis, “Partial Facial Re-Imaging Using Generative Adversarial Networks”, 2021.
- Xavian Ogletree, MS thesis, “Human-AI Teaming for Dynamic Interpersonal Skill Training”, 2021.
- Aishwarya Bositty, MS thesis, “Development of Real-Time Systems for Supporting Collaborations in Distributed Human and Machine Teams”, 2020.
- Aman Ali Pogaku, MS thesis, “Leveraging blockchain to mitigate the risk of counterfeit microelectronics in its supply chain”, 2019
- Lahari Surapaneni, MS thesis, "Design and Development of an Immersive Simulation for Social Determinants of Health Training”, 2019
- Miteshkumar M. Vasoya, PhD dissertation, “Improving Operating Room Utilization through Distributed Scheduling Workflow and Automation”, 2019
- Sankalp Mishra, MS thesis, “Use of Virtual Reality Technology in Medical Training and Patient Rehabilitation”, 2019
- Saurabh Shukla, MS thesis, “Development of a human-AI teaming based mobile language learning solution for dual language learners in early and special educations”, 2018
- Barry Pfaff, MS thesis, “Overwhelming the SAA System of Delivery UAVs by Drone Swarming”, 2018
- Subhadra Tummalapally, MS thesis, “Augment the Multi-Modal Interaction Capabilities of HoloLens Through Networked Sensory Devices”, 2018
- Soumya Chiday, MS thesis, “Developing a Kinect Based Holoportation System”, 2018
- Glenn Sean Morrison, MS thesis, “Threats and Mitigation of DDoS Cyberattacks Against the U.S. Power Grid via EV Charging”, 2018
- Swathi Pamidi, MS thesis, "Development of an iOS App for Learning Intonation of Wind Instruments", 2018
- Yogesh Chavan, MS thesis, "Portable Motion Lab for Diagnostic and Rehabilitation Processes", 2017
- Imen Mbarek Kasrani, MS thesis, "Development Of A Performance Assessment System For Language Learning", 2017
- Anka Babu Billa, MS thesis, “Development of an Ultra-Portable Non-Contact Wound Measurement System”, 2017
- Brian Eckerly, MS cyber project, "Cyber Security of Interfaces between Smart Electric Vehicles and the Power Grid", 2017
- Sowmya Pappu, MS thesis, "Development Of An Android Based Performance Assessment System For Motivational Interviewing Training", 2017
- Ashutosh Shivakumar, MS thesis, "Smart EV Charging For Improved Sustainable Mobility", 2017
- Andrew J. McNutt, MS thesis, “Model Preparation And User Interface Aspects For Microsoft Hololens Medical Tutorial Applications”, 2017.
- Dhruvkumar Navinchandra Patel, MS thesis, "Miniatured Inertial Motion and Position Tracking and Visualization Systems Using Android Wear Platform", 2016
- Rutvik Bharatkumar Patel, MS thesis, “Cost and Space Effective Range of Motion and Gait Analysis”, 2016
- Megha Dattatrey Dalvi, MS thesis, “Customizable 3-D Virtual GI Tract Systems for Locating, Mapping and Navigation Inside Human Gastrointestinal Tract”, 2016
- Krishna Chaithanya Mathi, MS thesis, “Augment HoloLens’ Body Recognition and Tracking Capabilities Using Kinect”, 2016
- Chad M. Murphy, MS cyber project, "Application Layer Firewall – Internet Calendaring and Scheduling", 2016
- Steven B. Mahurin, MS cyber project, "SMIMEEncrypt: Automatic Encrypting Mail Gateway Module", 2016
- Purumandla Sai Harin Kumar Reddy, MS cyber project, “GUI based Firewall Control”, 2016
- Kristin Warren, MS cyber project, "Reverse Engineering and Obfuscating Java Code", 2016
- Jennafer Sparks, MS cyber project, "Reverse Engineering and Obfuscating Java Code", 2016
- Venkatamanikanta Subrahmanyakartheek Gokavarapu, MS thesis, “Computer Graphics and Visualization based Analysis and Record System for Hand Surgery and Therapy Practices”, 2016
- A. Shivakumar, A. Bositty, N. Peters, and Y. Pei, “Real-Time Interruption Management System for Efficient Distributed Collaboration in Multi-tasking Environments”, Proceedings of the ACM on Human-Computer Interaction (PACM HCI), 4, CSCW1, Article 39 (May 2020), 23 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/3392844.
- Maria Rechtin, Miteshkumar M. Vasoya, Ashutosh Shivakumar, Yong Pei, Dean A. Bricker, Josephine F. Wilson, and Paul J. Hershberger, “Real-Time Assessment of Dialogue in Motivational Interviewing (ReadMI): Metrics for Training”, Learn Serve Lead 2020: The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, Nov. 13 – 17, 2020.
- Miteshkumar M. Vasoya, Ashutosh Shivakumar, Sowmya Pappu, Cara P. Murphy, Yong Pei, Dean A. Bricker, Josephine F. Wilson, Angie Castle, Paul J. Hershberger, “ReadMI: An Innovative App to Support Training in Motivational Interviewing”, The Journal of Graduate Medical Education, 2019, Jun; 11(3): 344–346. doi: 10.4300/JGME-D-18-00839.1, PMCID: PMC6570458.
- A.Shivakumar, S. Shukla, M.Vasoya, I.Kasrani, and Y. Pei, “AI-Enabled Language Speaking Coaching For Dual Language Learners”, IADIS International Journal on WWW/Internet, Vol. 17, No. 1, pp. 66-78, ISSN: 1645-7641, 2019.
- Paul J. Hershberger, Yong Pei, Sabrina Neeley, Matt Davis and Angie Castle, “Your Next Patient is Virtual: Training in Social Determinants”, Society of Teachers of Family Medicine 2019 Conference on Practice & Quality Improvement, December 5-8, 2019 in Phoenix, AZ.
- Blaine A. Klingler, Matt Davis, Sankalp Mishra, Miteshkumar Vasoya, Dixit Patel, Aishwarya Bositty, Tanuja Addanki, Frank A. Allen, Suneesh Menon, Sabrina Neeley, Angie Castle, Todd Pavlak, Yong Pei, Thomas Wischgoll, Paul J. Hershberger, “An Interactive Game for Cultural Proficiency Training Featuring Virtual Reality Immersion”, The 1st Annual Conference of the National Collaborative for Education to Address the Social Determinants of Health, Chicago, IL, May 7, 2019.
- Y. Pei and D. Martineau, “Holographical Communication and Distributed Collaborations”, Guest Editor, IEEE COMSOC MMTC Communications - Frontiers, Vol. 12, No. 2, March, 2018.
- A.Shivakumar, M.Vasoya, Sean Morrison, and Y.Pei, "Individualized Smart Charging to Mitigate the Growing Electrical Peak Demand from EVs as Home Appliances", The 4th IEEE Smart World Congress (SmartWorld 2018), pp. 37-44, Guangzhou, 10/2018.
- Member - ACM
- Key member - IEEE ComSoc MMTC MPCIG
- Received media coverages in American Inno, NPR, US News & World Report, New York Times, Washington Post, VOA, ABC, CBS, NBC, Dayton Daily News, Dayton Business Journal, and etc.
- Top prize, Ohio Opioid Technology Challenge - Idea Phase, a world-wide competition for innovative technology ideas to fight the opioid crisis, Jan. 2018.
- Ohio Collegiate Venture Showcase, one of 4 student/faculty teams selected from universities across Ohio, Sep. 2017.