Dr. Daniel Adomko Asamoah is an Associate Professor of Information Systems in the Raj Soin College of Business at the Wright State University. He holds a Ph.D in Management Information Systems from the William Spears School of Business at the Oklahoma State University.
Dr. Asamoah's research activities focus on business analytics and intelligence, big data applications, decision support systems in health care and operations management. He has published in multiple journals, including Decision Support Systems and Simulation. Conferences such as the annual meetings of the Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS), the Decision Sciences Institute (DSI), the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences Healthcare (INFORMS Healthcare) and the Pre-ICIS Business Analytics Congress have accepted his papers. His paper, "Teaching the Foundations of Data Science: An Interdisciplinary Approach", won the runner-up position for the Best Teaching Paper Award at the 2015 Pre-ICIS Business Analytics Congress. For his research, he has also won multiple other awards including the prestigious Phoenix Doctoral Award (Oklahoma State University, 2014). As a Principal Investigator, his research is funded by a grant from the Wright State University Research Council. He played a vital role in the establishment of the Data Analytics and Visualization Environment (DAVE) Lab in the Raj Soin College of Business at the Wright State University. He is currently an editorial board member of the International Journal of Experimental Algorithms (IJEA).
Dr. Asamoah is passionate about mentorship and teaching. As an instructor, he has developed and taught multiple courses in data analytics, big data, data science, systems analysis and design, data bases, object oriented programming and operations management. He believes in learning by doing, and hence build his course lessons around multiple hands-on exercises and projects that are relevant to both current and emerging environmental factors in information systems.
Dr. Asamoah has multiple backgrounds as a Telecommunications Engineer and a Digital Forensics Specialist in large and small-sized firms.
- Ph.D. in Management Information Systems, William Spears School of Business, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- M.S. in Telecommunications Managwement, William Spears School of Business, Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
- B.S. in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, College of Engineering, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana
- Business Intelligence/Data Mining
- Data Science for Business Applications
- Systems Analysis and Design
- Decision Support Systems
- Computer Networks and Security
- Health Informatics
- Big Data Analytics
- Electronic Social Networks
- Healthcare Decision Support Systems
- Systems Simulation
- Design Science Research
- Asamoah, D. A., Sharda, R., Zadeh, A. H., & Kalgotra, P. (2017). Preparing a Data Scientist: A Pedagogic Experience in Designing a Big Data Analytics Course. Decision Sciences Journal of Innovative Education, 15(2), 161-190.
- Trivedi, N., Asamoah, D. A., & Doran, D. (2016). Keep the Conversations Going: Engagement-Based Customer Segmentation on Online Social Service Platforms. Information Systems Frontiers, 1-19.
- Asamoah, D. A., Sharda, R., Rude, H. N., & Doran, D. (2016). RFID-Based Information Visibility for Hospital Operations: Exploring its Positive Effects using Discrete Event Simulation. Health Care Management Science, 1-12.
- Schiller, S., Goul, M., Iyer, L., Sharda, R., Schrader, D. & Asamoah, D. (2015). Build Your Dream (not just Big) Analytics Program. Communications of the Association for Information System (forth coming)
- Asamoah, D., Doran, D. & Schiller, S. (2015). Teaching the Foundations of Data Science: An Interdisciplinary Approach. 2015 Pre-ICIS (International Conference on Information Systems) Business Analytics (BA) Congress, Fort Worth, Texas (accepted)
- Sharda, R., Asamoah, D. A. & Ponna, N. (2013). Research and Pedagogy in Business Analytics: Opportunities and Illustrative Examples. Journal of Computing and Information Technology, 21(3), 171-183
- Gupta, A., Sharda, R., Dong, Y., Sharda, R., Asamoah, D., & Pickering, B. (2013). Improving rounding in critical care environments through management of interruptions. Decision Support Systems, 55(2), 516-527
- Kasiri, N., Sharda, R., & Asamoah, D. A. (2012). Evaluating electronic health records systems: a system dynamics simulation. Simulation, 88(6), 639-648
- Asamoah, D. & Sharda, R. (2015). Adapting CRISP-DM Process for Social Network Analytics: Application to Healthcare. 2015 Americas Conference on Information Systems, Puerto Rico
- Thandapani, A., Asamoah, D. & Sharda, R. (2015). Can Social Media Support Public Health? Demonstrating Disease Surveillance using Big Data Analytics. 2015 Americas Conference on Information Systems, Puerto Rico
- Asamoah, D. & Sharda, R. (2014). The Role of Peer-to-Peer Support on Electronic Social Networks for Chronic Disease Self-Management. 45th Annual Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute. Tampa, Florida.
- Sharda, R., Asamoah, D. A. & Ponna, N. (2013). Business Analytics: Research and Teaching Perspectives. Proceedings of the ITI 2013 35th International Conference on Information Technology Interfaces. Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- Asamoah, D. A., Sharda, R. & Bukkapatnam, S. (2012). The Value of RFID Tracking Systems for Inventory Management in Healthcare. Procedings of the 43rd Annual Conference of the Decision Sciences Institute. San Francisco, California.
- Kuruvada, P., Asamoah, D., Dalal, N., & Kak, S. (2010). Learning Computational Thinking from Rapid Digital Game Creation. Proceedings of the 2nd Annual Conference on Theoretical and Applied Computer Science. Stillwater, Oklahoma.
- Dalal, N., & Asamoah, D. (2010). Examining Learning Styles in an Interactive Asynchronous Online Course. EDULEARN 2010. Barcelona, Spain.
- Data Analytics and Virtualization Environment Laboratory (DAVE)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Decision Sciences Institute (DSI)
- Institute for Operations Research and Management Science (INFORMS)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineering (IEEE)
- Runner-Up for Best Teaching Paper Award, Pre-ICIS Business Analytics Congress, 2015
- Research Initiation Grant Award (Wright state University), 2015
- OSU Foundation Distinguished Graduate Fellowship Award, 2014
- Phoenix Doctoral Award (Oklahoma State University), 2014
- Decision Sciences Institute New Faculty Development Consortium, 2014
- Phillips Dissertation Fellowship Award (Oklahoma State University), 2013
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Associate Award (Spears School of Business, Oklahoma State University), 2013
- Americas Conference on Information Systems (AMCIS) Doctorial Consortium, 2013
- Decision Sciences Institute Doctorial Consortium, 2013
- The National Scholars Honor Society (Magna Cum Laude), 2008
- German Government DAAD Scholarship, 2004
- Spacefon Scholarship Award (Merit-based award), 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004