Dawn P. Wooley, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow; University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1992-1994
- Mentor: Nobel Laureate Howard M. Temin, Ph.D.
- Retroviral mutation and recombination
- Viral vector technology
Ph.D., Virology; Harvard University, 1992
- Office of Naval Research and Albert J. Ryan Graduate Fellowships
- Mentor: Ronald C. Desrosiers, Ph.D.
- Dissertation: Envelope sequence variation and immune selection of simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) in persistently infected rhesus monkeys.
B.S., Microbiology; Pennsylvania State University, 1986
- Summa cum laude with Honors in Molecular and Cell Biology
- Mentor: Richard J. Frisque, Ph.D.
- Honors Research Project: Analysis of Naturally Occurring BK Virus Variants
- Virology (MI 4310/7310)
- Host and Defense (SMD 8185)
- Gene Therapy (MI 7770)
- Biological Safety (ANT 4340/6340, MI 6340, EES 4750/6750): Syllabus
My research interests include the following: Molecular mechanisms of viral mutation, recombination, tropism, and pathogenesis; Evolution of human pandemic viruses (HIV-1, Influenza A virus, SARS-CoV-2); Use of viral vectors for gene transfer (lentivirus, adenovirus, adeno-associated virus, and poxvirus); HIV-1 infection of eosinophils; Antiviral nanotechnology; Biosafety of viral vectors in research laboratories and animals.
- NIH Recombinant DNA Advisory Committee, member (2012-2017)
- Board of Scientific Counselors, CDC (2016-present)
- Co-Chair of the Poliovirus Containment Working Group, CDC (2017-present)
- Director of the Master of Science Program in Microbiology & Immunology
- Faculty Senator representing the College of Science & Mathematics
- Numerous Committees at the University, School, College, Department, and Program levels
Adelman, Z. N.*, Albritton, L. M., Boris-Lawrie, K., Buchmeier, M. J., Cannon, P., Cho, M., DiGiusto, D., Donahue, J. K., Federoff, H. J., Hammarskjold, M.-L., Hardison, A. D. Hearing, P., Lee, B., Lee, D. A., Porteus, M. H., Ross, L. F., Ross, S. R., Wooley, D. P., Zoloth, L. (2018). Protect NIH's DNA advisory committee. Science 26 Oct 2018:Vol. 362, Issue 6413, pp. 409-410. DOI: 10.1126/science.aav2483.
Wooley, D. P., Sharma, P., Weinstein, J. R., Narayan, P. K. L., Schaffer, D. V., & Excoffon, K. J. D. A. (2017). A directed evolution approach to select for novel Adeno-associated virus capsids on an HIV-1 producer T cell line. J. Virol. Methods. 250:47-54.
Wooley, D. P., & Vasanth, S. (2017). Duplex quantitative polymerase chain reaction assay for detection of adenoviral and lentiviral vectors. Applied Biosafety, 22(3):104-113.
Wooley, D. P., & Byers, K. B. (Eds.). (2017). Biological Safety: Principles and Practices (5th ed.). Washington, DC: ASM Press.
Wooley, D. P. (2017). Molecular Agents. In D. P. Wooley & K. B. Byers (Eds.), Biological Safety: Principles and Practices (5th ed., pp. 269-283). Washington, DC: ASM Press.
Wooley, D. P., & Fleming, D. O. (2017). Risk Assessment of Biological Hazards. In D. P. Wooley & K. B. Byers (Eds.), Biological Safety: Principles and Practices (5th ed., pp. 95-104). Washington, DC: ASM Press.
Schlimgen, R., Howard, J., Wooley, D., Thompson, M., Baden, L. R., Yang, O. O., Christiani, D. C., Mostoslavsky, G., Diamond, D. V., Duane, E. G., Byers, K., Winters, T., Gelfand, J. A., Fujimoto, G., Hudson, T. W., Vyas, J. M. (2016). Risks associated with lentiviral vector exposures and prevention strategies. J Occup Environ Med, 58(12), 1159-1166.