I currently work on seismic reflection processing and interpretation projects. I supervise projects on processing of seismic data acquired by Wright State University, 3-D interpretation projects on data supplied by oil companies and new methods of seismic data processing.
In remote sensing I supervised projects using LandSAT, ASTER, and MODIS data to map Gypsy Moth infestations in Ohio, West Virginia and Michigan, and relate land use and conservation practices in Greene County, Ohio to water quality.
I initiated a program of collaboration with the Open University, Milton Keynes, United Kingdom where I have been appointed Honorary Research Fellow. In this program I have renewed my collaboration with Professor Nigel Harris 20 years after we crossed the Tibetan Plateau.
- EES 4220/6220: Introduction to Geophysics, 4 Hrs
- EES 6010: Astronomy for K-12 Teachers, 2 Hrs
- EES 4260/6260 Geophysics Seminar, 1 Hr
- EES 7000 Principles of Instruction in Earth & Environmental Sciences, 1 Hr
- EES 8990 Research Supervision
- EES 4290/6290 Remote Sensing of the Earth, 4 Hrs
- EES 4370/6370: Subsurface Digital Imaging & Processing, 4 Hrs [Even Years]
- EES 7000 Principles of Instruction in Earth & Environmental Sciences, 1 Hr
- Palaeomagnetic Investigation of the Tibetan Plateau, United Kingdom Natural Environmental Research Council, 1986, 5500 pounds.
- Seismic reflection line through world’s deepest borehole, Kola Peninsula, Russia, Travel grant, Royal Society of London, 1992, 700 pounds.
- Geophysical Investigation of the Serpent Mound Cryptoexposion structure, Royal Society of London, 1996, 7265 pounds.
- Application of Wavelet Transforms to Seismic Data Processing, Total Oil Plc, 1996, 30,000 pounds.
- Supplement to above contract, Application of Wavelet Transforms to Seismic Data Processing, Elf Aquitaine Plc, 1997, 30,000 pounds
- Remote Sensing of the Ohio Environment, 2001, NASA Glenn, $53,740.
- Web-Based Solutions/Satellite Data Presentation, USGS subcontracted to Ohio University, 2001, $20,969.
- OhioView Virtual University program in Remote Sensing and GIS technology: Phase 1, Ohio Board of Regents funded through Kent State University with Dr. Watts as CoPI: 2002, $30,600.
- NASA MARS EVA Prototype-Phase I: Earth Analogs, NASA funded, subcontract through University of Cincinnati, 2002-2004, $26,000.
- Remote Sensing of the Gypsy Moth and other Ohio Forest Pests, NASA, contract through Ohio Aerospace Institute, 2002-2004, $134,750.
- Application of remote sensing to the control and management of the Gypsy Moth, NASA, contract through Ohio Aerospace Institute, 2003-2005, $33,102; D.R. Watts.
- Publication of remote sensing education workshop results and applications to the Ohio environment, NASA, 2005-2006, $11920.
- Improving Water Use Efficiency through Evapotranspiration Measurements through Remote Sensing Technology, United States Bureau of Reclamation, 2005-2007, $75500.
- Software grant from Schlumberger, with E. Hauser. Three Year Software License $3,941,584, Software maintenance $2,199,888, 2008
- Seismic data grant from Western Geophysical, with E. Hauser. 3D seismic data set from Gulf of Mexico for use in the ‘Salt Dome’ sub-salt imaging project with Hess using DataOhio facilities at the Joshi Center. Data valued at $30,000,000, 2008.
- United States Bureau of Reclamation grant to Alliance Universities: Application of Remote Sensing Technologies to Water Supply Problems in the Western United States, $178,000, 2008-2009.
- Baard Energy-USDOE grant: Reservoir characterization of the Dominion North Canton Storage Field, with E. Hauser and D. Dominic, $99,961, 2009-2010.
- Characterization of the Dominion North Canton Storage Field (NCSF), with Dr. Hauser, Dominion East Ohio Gas Co., $25,804, 2009-2010.
- Structural Characterization of the Dominion North Canton Storage Field (NCSF), with Dr. Hauser, Dominion East Ohio Gas Co., $7787.00, 2010-2011.
- United States Bureau of Reclamation grant to Alliance Universities: Application of Remote Sensing Technologies to Water Supply Problems in the Western United States, $36,672, 2010-2011.
- Schlumberger Software grant (with Dr. Ritzi and Dr. Hauser). Awarded license value worth $3,165,410., and Maintenance $1,899,000 for Petrel and Eclipse, 2011.
- Hampson Russel Software grant (with Dr. Hauser). Awarded license value worth $130000 and Maintenance $23500, 2011.
- Hampson Russel Software grant (with Dr. Hauser). Maintenance $23500, 2012.
- Hampson Russel Software grant (with Dr. Hauser). Maintenance $23500, 2013.
- Schlumberger Software grant (with Dr. Ritzi and Dr. Hauser). Maintenance $1,899,000 for Petrel and Eclipse, 2013.
Major Expeditions/Field Projects
- Ohio State University Institute of Polar Studies Expedition to the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica, 1973-74.
- Ohio State University - University of Michigan Expedition to the Antarctic Peninsula, 1978.
- USARP Expedition to the Ellsworth Mountains, Antarctica, 1979-1980.,
- Royal Society – Academia Sinica Traverse of Tibet, 1985-1986.
- BIRPS (British Institutions Reflection Profiling Syndicate) WISPA experiment, County Durham, UK, 1989.
- Joint Imperial College University of Glasgow seismic survey of Hot Dry Rock Project Rosemanowes Quarry, Cornwall, UK, 1991.
- BIRPS (British Institutions Reflection Profiling Syndicate) SWABS experiment, Berwick on Tweed, UK, 1992.
- KOLA 92, Joint University of Wyoming, Bergen University, University of Glasgow Seismic Profile over Kola Peninsula Borehole, Deepest in the World, 1992.
- Technical advisor: 3-D seismic survey of proposed UK nuclear repository, Sellafield, Cumbria, 1994.
- Technical advisor: 3-D engineering seismic survey, Glasgow Development Agency, 1997.
- Wright State University Seismic Survey of Federal Road, Green County Ohio, 1999.
- Central State University-Alliance Universities Evapotransporation project, Cibola Wildlife Refuge, California, 2005-2011.
- Wright State University Seismic Survey of Portland, Indiana, 2013.
M.S. Theses Supervised
- Eric Bressler, 2001
- Justin Reuter, 2002
- Angela Hurley, 2003
- Christopher Buckman, 2004
- Margret Smart, 2004
- Rushi Maddula, 2005
- Jennifer Wolters, MSc, 2006
- David Bean MSc, 2008.
- Andrew Folfas, MSc, 2008.
- Tara Stolz, MSc, 2008.
- Amity Jetton, MSc, 2008.
- Dominic Wytovich, MSc, 2010 [Joint with Dr. Ernest Hauser]
- Andrei Butterfield, 2014 [Joint with Dr. Ernest Hauser]
- Katherine Gigandet, 2014 [Joint with Dr. Ernest Hauser]
- Dominique Haneberg-Diggs, 2014 [Joint with Dr. Ernest Hauser]
Ph.D. Dissertation Supervised
- Allan Trench, 1987
- Ma Xin Quan, 1990 [Joint with Prof D. K. Smythe]
- Mohamud Boulfoul, 1992
- Andrew Deighan, 1997
- Belgasem El-Saiti, 1998
- Sumantra Chatterjee, 2010 [Joint with Prof S. Sritharan]
Ph.D. Dissertations Examined
- Timothy Poppleton, University of Liverpool, Ph.D., 1986.
- Zahd Achmed, University of Glasgow, Ph.D. (Internal), 1990.
- Fawsi Sahaldi, University of Glasgow, Ph.D. (Internal) 1991.
- David Darby, University of Glasgow, Ph.D. (Internal) 1996.
- Shuang Qin, University of Glasgow, Ph.D. (Internal) 1996.
- Englert, J.W., J.C. Petrosky, W.F. Bailey, J.W. Heger, L.Tauxe, D. R. Watts, 2013, Estimating peak EMP magnetic fields using alternating field demagnetization, Journal of Radiation Effects, Research and Engineering, V 31, pp 85-93.
- Hatim M. E. Geli, Chrisopher M. U. Neale, Doyle Watts, John Osterberg, Henk A. R. DE Bruin, Wim Kohsiek, Robert T. Pack, and Lawrence E. Hipps, 2012, Scintillometer-Based Estimates of Sensible Heat Flux Using Lidar-Derived Surface Roughness, Journal of Hydrometeorology, 13: 1317-1331.
- Sumantra Chatterjee, Subramania Sritheran, Doyle Watts, and Thaddeus Tarpey, 2012, Estimating Palo Verde irrigation district evapotranspiration using MODIS enhanced vegetation index and micro-meteorological data, Remote Sensing and Hydrology, International Association of Hydrological Sciences Publication 352, C. M. U. Neale and M. H. Cosh eds., pp 406-409. ISBN 978-1-907161-27-8, ISSN 0144-7815 (invited).
- Saleh Taghvaeian, Christopher M. U. Neale, Carlos A. C. Dos Santos, Doyle Watts, John Osterberg, and Subramania I. Sritharan, 2012, Two different remote sensing techniques for monitoring crop coefficient and water requirement of cotton, Remote Sensing and Hydrology, International Association of Hydrological Sciences Publication 352, C. M. U. Neale and M. H. Cosh eds., pp 89-93. ISBN 978-1-907161-27-8, ISSN 0144-7815 (invited).
- Hatim M. E. Geli, Christopher M. U. Neale, Doyle Watts, John Osterberg, and Robert T. Pack, 2012, Incorporating LIDAR data into scintillometer-based estimates of sensible heat flux considering different atmospheric stability conditions, Remote Sensing and Hydrology, International Association of Hydrological Sciences Publication 352, C. M. U. Neale and M. H. Cosh eds., pp 191-194. ISBN 978-1-907161-27-8, ISSN 0144-7815 (invited).
- Ramanitharan Kandiah, Xiofang Wei, Subramania Sritharan, Doyle Watts, Christopher Neale, John Osterberg, and Sumantra Chatterjee, 2012, Ground-based riparian evapotranspiration measurements for remote sensing algorithms, Remote Sensing and Hydrology, International Association of Hydrological Sciences Publication 352, C. M. U. Neale and M. H. Cosh eds., pp 206-209. ISBN 978-1-907161-27-8, ISSN 0144-7815 (invited).
- Maruthi Sridhar, Balaji B. , Vincent, Robert K. , Clapham, Wentworth B. , Sritharan, Subramania I., Osterberg, John , Neale, Christopher M. U. and Watts, Doyle R.,2010, Mapping saltcedar (Tamarix ramosissima) and other riparian and agricultural vegetation in the Lower Colorado River region using multi-spectral Landsat TM imagery, Geocarto International, 25: 8, 649-662.
- Watts, D. R., Sritharan, S.,Clark, D., (eds), 2009, Proceedings of the Conference on State-of-the-Art Review of ET Remote Sensing Science and Technology,International Center for Water Resources Management, Central State University, Wilburforce, Ohio, 275pp, ISBN-13:978-0-9791789-0-0.
- Baranoski, M. T., Brown, V.M. and Watts, D., 2007, Deep gas well encounters ultramafic kimberlite-like material in the Sauk Sequence of southeastern Ohio, USA, Geophere, V3, pp 177-183.
- Watts, D. R., Harris, N., and the NASA 2002 SOARS group, 2005, Mapping granite and gneiss in domes along the North Himalayan antiform with ASTER SWIR band ratios. Bulletin of the Geological Society of America, v. 117, 879-886.
- Watts, D. R., 2004, Paleomagnetic determination of the age of the Serpent Mound Disturbance. Ohio Journal of Science, v. 104, 101-108.
- Hurley, A., Watts, D.R., Burke, B. Richards, C., 2004, Identification of Gypsy Moth Infestations in Ohio using Landsat Data. Environmental & Engineering Geoscience, v. 10, 321-328.
- Reuter, J. C. , Watts, D.R., 2004, An ancient river channel system incised on the Precambrian-Cambrian unconformity beneath Jackson County, Ohio. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, v. 88, 1041-1048.
- Baranoski, M. T., Schumacher, G.A., Watts, D.R., Carlton, R.W. and El-Saiti, B.M., in press, Report on the geology of the Serpent Mound Disturbance based upon new core and geophysical data. Report of Investigations of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, 147 pages.
- Buckman, C.F., Watts, D.R., Hauser, E.C., 2000, Mapping of bedrock depth with seismic reflection using a stationary floating hydrophone array, 70th International Meeting, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Calgary, 1315-1318.
- Watts, D. R., Deighan, A.J. , Riedel, C., 1999, Attenuation of marine waveswell noise by stacking in the wavelet packet domain, 69th International Meeting, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Houston, 821-824.
- Watts, D. R., Smythe D.K., Deighan A.J., 1998, A 3-D engineering seismic survey with airblast removed by a wavelet packet filter, 68th International Meeting, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, New Orleans, 821-824.
- Deighan, A.J., Watts, D.R., Riedel, C., 1998, Wave swell noise suppression using a wavelet packet transform, 60th International Meeting, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, Leipzig, v. 1, 2-56.
- Deighan, A.J. and Watts, D.R., 1997, Ground roll suppression using the wavelet transform. Geophysics, v. 62, 1896-1903.
- Boulfoul, M. and Watts, D.R., 1997, Application of instantaneous rotations to S-wave vertical seismic profiling. Geophysics, v. 62, 1365-1368.
- Deighan, A.J. and Watts, D.R., 1997, Linear and hyperbolic velocity filtering using the 1D wavelet transform. Extended Abstracts, 59th International Meeting, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, Geneva, P006.
- Boulfoul, M. and Watts, D.R., 1994, Separation and enhancement of split S-waves on multicomponent shot records from the BIRPS WISPA experiment. Geophysics, v. 59, 131-139.
- Ma, X.Q., and Watts, D.R., 1994, Terrain correction program for regional gravity surveys. Computers and Geosciences, v. 20, 961-972.