Jerald Kay, MD
Professor Emeritus, Psychiatry;
- B.A., Washington University, St. Louis, Mo., 1967
- M.D., University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Md., 1971
- Residency (Psychiatry), University of Cincinnati General Hospital Division, 1971-73
- Fellowship (Child Psychiatry), University of Cincinnati General Hospital and Children’s Psychiatric Center, 1973-75
- Graduate, Cincinnati Psychoanalytic Institute, 1976-83
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Psychiatry, 1977
- Integration of psychotherapies
- Biologic dimensions of psychotherapy
- College mental health
- Psychotherapy research
- Editorial Board, Psychiatry: Interpersonal and Biological Processes, 2004-
- Editorial Board, Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience, 2011-
- Editorial Board, Psychiatric Times, 2015-
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Psychotherapy, 1999-
- Founding Editor, Journal of Psychotherapy Practice and Research, American Psychiatric Press, Inc. 1989-1999
- Series Editor, Hospital Physician; Psychiatry Board Review Manual, Turner-White Publications
- Welton R, Kay J (2015). The neurobiology of psychotherapy. Psychiatric Times
- Kay J: Without Parallel in Human Relations: The Mirror between Treatment and Supervision. Commentary on Harold Searles’ The Informational Value of theSupervisor’s Emotional Experience. Psychiatry: Journal for the Study of Interpersonal and Biological Processes. Vol 78, No.3, 2015
- Sledge W, Plakun EM, Bauer S, Brodsky B, Caligor E, Clemens NA, Deen S, Kay J, Lazar S, Mellman LA, Myers M, Oldham J, Yeomans F. Psychotherapy for suicidal patients with borderline personality disorder: an expert consensus review of common factors across five therapies. Borderline Personal Disord Emot Dysregul. 2014 Nov 11;1:16.
- Schwartz V, Kay J. College mental health: a system in transition. Lancet Psychiatry, 2014, Vol 1, No 4, 254-255.
- Kay, J. Commentary on “Transference as a Therapeutic Instrument”: Foreseeing the Real Relationship. Psychiatry: Journal for the Study of Interpersonal Process. Vol 77,No 1, 36-40, 2014
- Kay J, Myers MF. Current state of psychotherapy training: preparing for the future. Psychodynamic Psychiatry, 2014, 42(3):557-73.
- DeMaria PA, Mathew J, Kay J et al. Psychiatry resident rotations in university and college counseling centers: a pilot study of rotation types and challenges. J of College Student Psychotherapy, 2013, Vol 27 (4):337-344.
- Pantolon MV, Sledge WH, Kay et al. Important Medical Decisions: Using Brief Motivational Interviewing to Enhance Patients' Autonomous Decision Making. J. Psychiatric Practice, 2013, Vol. 19 (2) 98-108.
- Guina J, Kay J. Ethical Issues and the Delivery of Mental Health Services to College Students. Harvard Health Policy Review, 2012, Vol 13:7-10.
- Kay J. In search of emotional security: Commentary on the Conceptions of Modern Psychiatry by Harry Stack Sullivan. Psychiatry: Interpersonal and Biological Processes. 2012, 75(1):18-21.
- Schwartz V, Nissel C, Eisenberg D, Kay J. Increasing Counselling Center Utilization. 2012, Journal of College Student Psychotherapy, 26:1 50-60.
- Tasman A, Kay J, Udomratn P et al. The World Psychiatric Association Project on Undergraduate and Graduate Psychiatry Curriculum, WPA, 2011.
- Mossman D, Bowen MD, Vanness DJ, Bienenfeld D, Correll T, Kay J, Klykylo WM and Lehrer DS: Qualifying the Accuracy of Forensic Examiners in the Absence of a “Gold Standard.” Law and Human Behavior, Vol. 33, No. 6, December 2009, pp 542-543,
- Kay, J: Toward a Neurobiology of Child Psychotherapy. Journal of Loss and Trauma. 2009, 14 (4): 287-303.
- Kay, J. Toward a Clinically More Useful Model for Diagnosing Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Am J Psychiatry 2008, 165(11):1379-82.
- Kay J: The Essentials of Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: Focus, American Psych Assoc, Spring 2006, vol. IV, No. 2. pp 167-72.
- Gabbard GO, Kay J; The Fate of Integrated Treatment: Whatever Happened to the Biopsychosocial Psychiatrist? The American Journal of Psychiatry, 158:12; 1956-1963, December 2001.
- Yeragani VK, Sobolewski E, Igel G, Johnson C, Jampala VC, Kay J, et al: Decreased heart period variability in patients with panic disorder: a study of Holter ECG records, Psychiatry Research, 78:89-98, 1998
- Krikorian R, Kay J, Liang W: Emotional Distress, Coping, and Adjustment in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Infection and Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome. J of Nervous and Mental Disease 183(5): 293-298, 1995.
- Kay J, Bienenfeld D: The Clinical Assessment of the Cardiac Transplant Candidate. Psychosomatics 32(1):78-87, Winter 1991.
- Kay J, Bienenfeld D, Slomowitz M, et al: Use of Tricyclic Antidepressants in Recipients of Heart Transplants. Psychosomatics 32(2):165-170, Spring 1991.
- Krikorian R, Wrobel AJ, Meineck CG, Liang WM, Kay J: Cognitive Deficits Associated with Human Immunodeficiency Virus Encephalopathy. J of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience 2:256-268, 1990.
- Kay J: Traumatic Deidealization and the Future of Medicine. JAMA 263:572-573, 1990.
- Welton R, Kay J. The International Medical Graduate and the Doctor-Patient Relationship in International Medical Graduates—A Guide to Training. Rao N, Roberts L, (eds) Springer, 2016.
- Cowan A., Welton R.S., and Kay J., Transference and Countertransference. In: Howard S. Friedman (Editor in Chief), Encyclopedia of Mental Health, 2nd edition, Vol 4, Waltham, MA: Academic Press, 2016, pp. 324-328.
- Welton R, Kay J. Psychiatric Interviews: Special Populations in The Psychiatric Interview: Evaluation and Diagnosis. Tasman A, Kay J, Ursano RJ. John R. Wiley and Sons. Chichester, England, 2013 pp. 103-133.
- Cowan A, Welton R, Kay J. Formulation in The Psychiatric Interview: Evaluation and Diagnosis. Tasman A, Kay J, Ursano RJ. John R. Wiley and Sons. Chichester, England, 2013 pp. 135-146.
- Tracy DL, Kay J. Psychodynamic psychotherapy in Mental Health Care Issues in America. Shally–Jensen M. 2013. ABC-CLIO, Santa Barbara, pp.594-599.
- Kay J. Attachment and Its Disorders. In Klykylo W, Kay J. Clinical Child Psychiatry, Third Edition. John R. Wiley and Sons, Chichester, England, 2012.
- Kay, J. The rising prominence of college and university mental health issues. In Mental Health Care in the College Community. London, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2010.
- Kay J and Schwartz V. Psychiatry residency training in college mental health services. In Mental Health Care in the College Community. London, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2010.
- Kay J. The Neurobiology of Stress Within the Life Cycle. In Handbook of Stressful Transitions Across the Life Cycle. T Miller (Ed.). New York, Springer, 2010.
- Kay J, Kay R. Individual Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy. In Psychiatry, Third Edition, Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA et al (eds.). London, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2008.
- Kay J. Combining Psychodynamic Psychotherapy with Medication. in Textbook of Psychotherapeutic Treatments, Gabbard, GO (ed.). Virginia, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., pp. 133-161, 2008.
- Liggans, DY, Kay J. Race in the Room: Issues in the dynamic psychotherapy of African Americans, in Race, Culture and Psychotherapy. Moodley R, Palmer S (eds). Routledge, Taylor and Francis Group, New York. pp 100-116, 2006.
- Kay J. Psychotherapy and Medication, in Oxford Textbook of Psychotherapy. Gabbard et al (eds) Oxford University Press, Inc, New York, pp 463-76, 2005.
- Kay J. The Accreditation Process: Challenges and Benefits, in Psychiatric Education, 2nd Edition, Kay J., Silberman, E., Pessar, L. (eds). APPI., pp 207-220, 2005. Ornstein PH, Kay J: The Development of Psychoanalytic Self
- Psychology: An Historical Conceptual Overview, in Review of Psychiatry, Tasman A, Goldfinger S, and Kaufman C (eds), American Psychiatric Press, Inc., Vol. 9, 1990, pp. 303-322.
- Kay J: Self Psychology and the Practice of Psychotherapy (Section Editor) in Review of Psychiatry, Tasman A, Goldfinger S, and Kaufman C (eds). American Psychiatric Press, Inc., Vol. 9, 1990, pp. 299-404.
- Kay RL, Kay J: Adolescent Conduct Disorders in American Psychiatric Association Psychiatry Update Annual Review. American Psychiatric Press, Inc., 1990, Vol. 5. pp. 408-496.
- Kay J: Pregnancy Loss and the Grief Process. In Pregnancy Loss: Medical Therapeutics and Practice Consideration, Woods JR and Esposito J (eds). Williams and Wilkins, 1987, pp. 451-471.
- Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA, et al. Psychiatry, Fourth Edition, Volumes 1 & 2, London, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2016.
- Tasman A, Kay J. Ursano RJ. Psychiatric Interviewing. London, John R. Wiley and Sons 2015.
- Klykylo M, Kay J. Clinical Child Psychiatry, Third Edition, London, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2012.
- Kay J and Schwartz V. Mental Health Care in the College Community. London, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2010.
- Liggan DL and Kay J. Taking Care of Our Folks: A Manual for Family Members Caring for the Black Elderly, 2009.
- Kay J, Tasman A. Essentials of Psychiatry, Chichester, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2006.
- Kay J, Silberman E, Pessar L. Handbook of Psychiatric Education, Washington, D.C., American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc., 2005.
- Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA. Psychiatry 2nd ed, Therapeutics, London, John R. Wiley and Sons, 2003.
- Kay J (ed.). Integrated Treatment for Psychiatric Disorders: Review of Psychiatry Series, Vol. 20. Washington, D.C., American Psychiatric Press, Inc. 2001. Translated into Spanish, 2002.
- Kay J, Tasman A: Behavioral Science and Clinical Essentials, Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Company, 2000.
- Kay J, Silberman EK, Pessar L (eds): Handbook of Psychiatric Education and Faculty Development, Washington, D.C., American Psychiatric Press, Inc., 1999.
- Tasman A, Kay J, Lieberman JA: Pocket Companion to Accompany Psychiatry, Philadelphia, W.B. Saunders Company, 1997.
- Kay J (ed): Handbook of Psychiatry Residency Training, American Psychiatric Association, 1991.
Is this you? Log in to update your profile.