Postdoc/Research Scientist, 2014 - Air Force Research Laboratory, UES Inc.
Ph.D., 2013 - Cancer Biology, Immunology, The Ohio State University
M.S., 2009 - Pharmacology/Toxicology, Wright State University
B.S., 2005 – Chemistry, Wilmington College
Dr. Sean Harshman currently serves as a contract research scientist at the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) conducting studies to determine the molecular signatures of human performance and physiology using high end mass spectrometry. His work utilizes non-invasive media sources, such as exhaled breath and sweat, to identify potential volatile, metabolite, protein and lipid biomarkers of hypoxia, stress and fatigue.
19. Harshman SW, Geier BA, Qualley AV, Drummond LA, Flory LE, et al. Exhaled Isoprene for Monitoring Recovery from Acute Hypoxic Stress. J. Breath Res. 2017;11(4):047111.
18. Harshman SW, Rubenstein MH, Qualley AV, Fan M, Geier BA, et al. Evaluation of Thermal Desorption Analysis on a Portable GC-MS System. Int. J. Env. Anal. Chem. 2017;97(3):247-263.
17. Harshman SW, Mani N, Geier, BA, Shepard P, Fan M, et al. Storage stability of exhaled breath on Tenax TA. J. Breath Res. 2016;10(4):046008.
16. Martin JA, Kwak J, Harshman SW, Chan K, Fan M, et al. Field Sampling Demonstration of Portable Thermal Desorption Collection and Analysis Instrumentation. Int. J. Env. Anal. Chem. 2016;1:1-21.
15. Canella A, Harshman SW, Freitas MA, Pichiorri F. The Potential Diagnostic Power of Extracellular Vesicle Analysis for Multiple Myeloma. Expert Rev. Mol. Diagn. 2016;16(3):277-284.
14. Harshman SW, Canella A, Ciarlariello PD, Branson OE, Agarwal K, et al. Proteomic Characterization of Circulating Extracellular Vesicles Identifies CD44 as a Novel Myeloma Associated Marker. J. Proteomics. 2015;136:89-98.
13. Harshman SW, Geier BA, Fan M, Rinehardt S, Watts BS, et al. The Identification of Hypoxia Biomarkers from Exhaled Breath under Normobaric Conditions. J. Breath Res. 2015;9(4):047103.
12. Harshman SW, Dershem VL, Fan M, Slusher GM, Flory LE, et al. The Stability of Tenax TA Thermal Desorption Tubes in Simulated Field Conditions on the HAPSITE® ER. Int. J. Env. Anal. Chem. 2015;95(11):1014-1029.
11. Singh R, Harshman SW, Stark A, Mortazavi A, Lucus DM, et al. Proteomic Profiling Identifies Specific Histones Species Associated with Leukemic and Cancer Cells. Clin. Proteomics. 2015;12(1):22.
10. Renusch SR, Harshman SW, Pi H, Workman E, Wehr A, et al. Spinal Muscular Atrophy Biomarker Measurements from Blood Samples in a Clinical Trial of Valproic Acid in Ambulatory Adults. J. Neuromus. Dis. 2015;2:119-130.
9. Kwak J, Fan M, Harshman SW, Garrison C, et al. Evaluation of Bio-VOC Sampler for Analysis of Volatile Organic Compounds in Exhaled Breath Samples. Metabolites. 2014;4(4):879-888.
8. Harshman SW, Grigsby CC, Ott DK. Exhaled Breath Condensate for Proteomic Biomarker Discovery. Chromatography. 2014;1:108-119.
7. Harshman SW, Hoover ME, Huang C, Branson OE, et al. Histone H1 Phosphorylation in Breast Cancer. J. Proteome Res. 2014;13(5):2453-2467.
6. Choudhury M, Li H, Harshman S, Freitas M, Dugoff L. 8: Epigenetics and microRNA as a unifying mechanism in severe preeclampsia. Am. J. Obstet. Gynecol. 2014;210.
5. Harshman SW, Chen MM, Branson OE, Jacob NK, et al. Characterization of linker histones across cellular compartments. J. Proteomics. 2013;91C:595-604.
4. Harshman SW, Canella A, Ciarlariello PD, Rocci A, et al. Characterization of Multiple Myeloma Vesicles by Label-Free Relative Quantitation. Proteomics. 2013;13(20):3013-3029.
3. Harshman SW, Young NL, Parthun MR, Freitas MA. Histone H1: Current Perspectives and Challenges. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41(21):9593-9609.
2. Wang L, Harshman SW, Liu S, et al. Assaying pharmacodynamic endpoints with targeted therapy: flavopiridol and 17AAG induced phosphorylation of histone H1.5 in acute myeloid leukemia. Proteomics. 2010;10(23):4281–4292.
1. Goldcamp MJ, Underwood MN, Cloud JL, Harshman S, Ashley K. An Environmentally Friendly, Cost-Effective Determination of Lead in Environmental Samples Using Anodic Stripping Voltammetry. J. Chem. Educ. 2008;85(7):976.
American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS)
International Association for Breath Research (IABR)
Journal of Breath Research Highlights of 2016 for the manuscript Storage stability of exhaled breath on Tenax TA, 2016.
Journal of Breath Research Highlights of 2015 for the manuscript The Identification of hypoxia biomarkers from exhaled breath under normobaric conditions, 2015.