Tim Crawford, Ph.D., MPH
Timothy N. Crawford, Ph.D., M.P.H. is an Assistant Professor in the Departments of Family Medicine and Population and Public Health Sciences at Wright State University’s Boonshoft School of Medicine. Dr. Crawford is an epidemiologist and biostatistician who has experience collaborating with a number of researchers across a number of fields. His research interest lies at the intersection of HIV, race, and age. His research focuses on examining the impact of HIV-related stigma and other forms of discrimination (e.g., racism, ageism) on engagement in HIV care. Specifically, he is interested in understanding how stigma and discrimination impedes optimal engagement in HIV care among older African Americans living with HIV.
Ph.D., Biostatistics and Epidemiology, University of Kentucky, 2012
M.P.H., Epidemiology, University of Kentucky, 2009
B.S., Microbiology, University of Tennessee, 2007
Current Research Projects:
African American Older Adults Living with HIV: Exploring Intersectional Stigma and HIV Care Outcomes (IRB Number: 07117)
Internalized HIV Stigma and Viral Suppression: Examining the Mediating and Moderating Roles of Social Support, Substance Use, and Depressive Symptoms
Multimorbidity HIV/AIDS Epidemiology HIV and Aging HIV-Related Stigma
Alcohol and Substance Use Intersectional Stima LGBTQ Health and Wellbeing
Mediation Analysis Longitudinal Data Analysis
PPH 6100 - Biostatistics for Public Health Professionals
PPH 7150 - Applied Epidemiology (Chronic Disease Epidemiology)
- Salameh TN, Hall LA, Crawford TN, Staten RR, Hall MT. (2019). Racial/ethnic Differences in Mental Health Treatment among a National Sample of Pregnant Women with Mental Health and/or Substance Use Disorders in the United States. doi: 10.1016/j.jpsychores.2019.03.015.
- Abusalem S, Polivka B, Coty MB, Crawford TN, Furman CD, Alaradi ML. (2019). The Relationship between Culture of Safety and Rate of Adverse Events in LTCF. Journal of Patient Safety. doi: 10.1097/PTS.0000000000000587.
- Crawford TN, Harris LM, Peyrani P. (2019). Examining Age as a Moderating Effect on the Relationship between Alcohol Use and Viral Suppression among Women Living with HIV. Journal of Women and Health. doi: 10.1080/03630242.2018.1553817
- Ridner SL, Keith RJ, Walker KL, Hart JL, Newton KS, Crawford TN. (2018). Differences in Quality of Life among College Student Electronic Cigarette Users. AIMS Public Health. 5(4):454-462. Doi: 10.3934/publichealth.2018.4.454.
- Embree JA, Crawford TN, Paton SJ. (2018). Suicide Rates in Rural Ohio: The Role of Population Density, Social Association, and Healthcare Access. Ohio Journal of Public Health. 1(1): 8 – 13.
- Crawford TN, Thornton AC. (2018). Alcohol Use and Multimorbidity among Individuals Living with HIV. Journal of AIDS Behavior. 23(1): 152-160. DOI: 10.1007/s10461-018-2242-y.
- Palla MR, Horahalli S, Crawford T, Desai N. (2018). Progression of Gastric Acid Production in Preterm Neonates. Frontiers Pediatrics, 6, 211.
- Khan SS, Hong-McAtee I, Kris VM, Stevens S, Crawford T, Hanna M, Bada H, Desai N. (2018). Thyroid Gland Volumes in Premature Infants Using Serial Ultrasounds. Journal of Perinatology. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41372-018-0149-0.
- Chlebowy DO, Batscha C, Kubiak N, Crawford T. (2018). Relationships of Depression, Anxiety, and Stress with Adherence to Self-Management Behaviors and Diabetes Biomarkers in African American Adults with Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities. DOI: 10.1007/s40615-018-0500-3
- Crawford TN, Ridner, SL. (2018). Differences in Well-Being between Sexual Minority and Heterosexual College Students. Journal of LGBT Youth. DOI: 10.1080/19361653.2018.1470954
- Smith S, Keltner C, Stikes R, Hayes P, Crawford TN. (2018). Comparisons of Axillary and Temporal Artery Thermometry in Preterm Infants. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, & Neonatal Nursing. Published online ahead of print. PII: S0884-2175(18)30052-2. DOI: 10.1016/j.jogn.2018.02.013.
- Nash WA, Hall LA, Ridner SL, Hayden D, Mayfield T, Firriolo J, Hupp W, Weathers C, Crawford TN. (2018). Evaluation of an interprofessional education program for advanced practice nursing and dental students: The oral-systemic health connection. Nurse Education Today. Published online ahead of print March 27, 2018. DOI: 10.1016/j.nedt.2018.03.021.
- Shawler C, Edward J, Ling J, Crawford TN, Rayens MK. (2017). Impact of Mother-Daughter Relationship on Hypertension Self-Management and Quality of Life: Testing Dyadic Dynamics Using the Actor-Partner Interdependence Model. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing, 33(3): 232-238.
- Hardin HK, McCarthy VL, Speck BJ, Crawford TN. (2017). Diminished Trust of Healthcare Providers, Risky Lifestyle Behaviors, and Low Use of Health Services: A Descriptive Study of Rural Adolescents. Journal of School Nursing. doi: 10.1177/1059840517725787.
- Yu I, Greenberg RN, Crawford TN, Thornton AC, Myint T. (2017). Persistence of Macrocytosis after Discontinuation of Zidovudine in HIV-Infected Patients. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. doi: 10.1177/2325957417702486.
- Hammash MH, Crawford T, Shawler C, Lin CY, Shewekah D, Moser DK (2017). Beyond Social Support: Self-Care Confidence is Key for Adherence in Patients with Heart Failure. European Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. 16 (7): 632-637.
- McCarthy VL, Hall L, Crawford TN, Connelly J. (2017).Facilitating Self-transcendence: An Intervention to Enhance Well-Being in Late Life. Western Journal of Nursing. doi: 10.1177/0193945917690731.
- Crawford TN, Thornton A. (2016). Retention in Continuous Care and Sustained Viral Suppression: Examining the Association among Individuals Living with HIV. Journal of the International Association of Providers of AIDS Care. doi:10.1177/2325957416678929.
- Abner EL, Teaster PM, Mediondo MS, Ramsey-Klawsnik H, Marcum JL, Crawford TN, Wangmo T. (2016). Victim, Allegation, and Investigation Characteristics Associated with Substantiated Reports of Sexual Abuse of Adults in Residential Care Settings. Journal of Interpersonal Violence. pii:0886260516672051.
- Robinson KM, Crawford TN, Buckwalter K, Casey DA. (2018). Outcomes of a Two Component Intervention on Behavioral Symptoms in Persons with Dementia and Symptom Responses in their Caregivers. Journal of Applied Gerontology. 37(5): 570-594.
- Robinson KM, Crawford TN, Buckwalter, K. (2016). Outcomes of a Two Component Intervention on Depression in Dementia Caregivers. Best Practice in Mental Health. 12(2): 25-42.
- Hammash MH, Lennie TA, Crawford T, Heo S, Chung ML, Biddle MJ, Dekker R, Wu JR, Rayens MK, Moser DK. (2016). Depressive Symptoms: Mediator of Event-Free Survival in Patients with Heart Failure. Western Journal of Nursing Research. pii: 0193945916658883
Society for Epidemiologic Research
American Statistical Association
2021, Presidential Award for Faculty Excellence: Early Career Achievement, Wright State University
2018, Lyman T Johnson Torch of Excellence Award - University of Kentucky
2015, Clinical Research Scholar, NIH Loan Repayment Award - National Institutes on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
2013, Delta Omega - University of Kentucky