Faculty Adviser, Foreign Service Certificate
Faculty Adviser, WSU Model UN
- B.A., 1993, Ohio University
- M.A., 1995, Virginia Tech
- Ph.D., 2001 The Ohio State University
- RST 2910 - Regional Studies: The Middle East
- PLS 2000 - Power & Politics
- PLS 2220 - International Politics
- PLS 4100/6100 - Political Psychology
- PLS 4540/6540 - Middle East Politics
- PLS 4640/6640 - Politics of Israel and Palestine
- PLS 4720/6720 - Terrorism & Counterterrorism
- PLS 4730/6730 - U.S. Foreign Policy
- PLS 4860/6860 - Model UN Seminar
- PLS 4881/6881 - Diplomacy & Negotiation
- PLS 4890/6890 - Foreign Service Capstone
- PLS 7030 - International & Comparative Politics Research Design
Areas of Expertise:
- International Security
- Foreign Policy Analysis
- Middle East Politics
- Political Psychology
- International Norms
Board Member, Dayton Council on World Affairs
Member, Ohio Advisory Committee of the US Global Leadership Coalition
Faculty Adviser for WSU's Model United Nations Team
Faculty Adviser for SPIA Foreign Service Certificate
Faculty Adviser, Theta Zeta Chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha, the National Political Science Honor Society
Faculty Adviser, WSU College Democrats
- Liam Anderson and Vaughn Shannon. 2021. Federal Solutions for Fragile States in the Middle East: Right-Sizing Internal Borders. (World Scientific Publishing).
- Glenn Hastedt, Donna Lybecker, and Vaughn Shannon. 2014. Cases in International Relations: Pathways to Conflict and Cooperation (Sage Publications/CQ Press).
- Vaughn Shannon and Paul Kowert, eds. 2011. Psychology and Constructivism in International Relations: An Ideational Alliance - edited with Paul Kowert (University of Michigan Press)
- Vaughn Shannon. 2003. Balancing Act: U.S. Foreign Policy and the Arab-Israeli Conflict (Ashgate), online edition with Routledge
- Vaughn Shannon. 2020. "Role-Play Simulations and Changing Perceptions of the Other: Model UN, Model Arab League and Student Views of the Muslim World." International Studies Perspectives 21(3):219-239 https://doi.org/10.1093/isp/ekz011
- Vaughn Shannon. 2017. "International Norms and Foreign Policy." Oxford Research Encyclopedia on Politics.
- Amanda Shannon and Vaughn Shannon. 2016. "Librarians in the Midst: Improving Student Research Through Collaborative Instruction" (with Amanda Shannon), Journal of Political Science Education 12(4): 457-470.
- Vaughn Shannon and Josh Cummins. 2014. "US-Egyptian Relations Since the Arab Spring: Balancing Interests and Values" (with Josh Cummins), DISAM Journal
- Vaughn Shannon. 2013. "Broadening the Reputation Debate over Syria." E-IR
- Vaughn Shannon. 2009. "U.S. Reaction to the 2009 Iranian Election: The End of 'Regime Change' Politics." Journal of Iranian Research & Analysis
- Vaughn Shannon and Jonathan Keller. 2007. "Leadership Style and International Norm Violation: The Case of the Iraq War," Foreign Policy Analysis
- Vaughn Shannon and Michael Dennis. 2007. "Militant Islam and the Futile Fight for Reputation" (with Michael Dennis). Security Studies
- Vaughn Shannon. 2007. "On the Same Page? Narrative Interaction and Middle East Policy in the Two Bush Presidencies." White House Studies
- Vaughn Shannon. 2006. "Why Who Hates Us? Distinguishing Militants from the Merely Muslim." Harvard International Review
- Vaughn Shannon. 2005. "Wendt's Violation of the Constructivist Project: Why a World State is not Inevitable." European Journal of International Relations
- Vaughn Shannon. 2005. "Judge and Executioner: The Politics of Responding to Ethnic Cleansing in the Balkans." Journal of Genocide Research
- Richard Herrmann and Vaughn Shannon. 2001. "Defending International Norms" (with Richard K. Herrmann). International Organization
- Vaughn Shannon. 2000. "Norms are What States Make of Them." International Studies Quarterly
Book Chapters & Encyclopedia Entries
- Amanda Shannon & Vaughn Shannon. 2021. "Incorporating Information Literacy in Political Science Research." In Teaching Research Methods in Political Science, Jeffrey Bernstein (ed.), Chapter 2 (Edward Elgar Publishers)
- Vaughn Shannon. 2018. "Terrorism and Counterterrorism on Europe’s Edge: Turkey, the PKK, and the TAK," In Secessionism and Terrorism, Glen Duerr (ed.), pp. 105-124 (Routledge)
- Vaughn Shannon. 2018. "Constructivism." In the Encyclopedia of Surveillance, Security and Privacy (Sage).
- Vaughn Shannon. 2016. "Global Citizenship in the Middle East: Presence and Prospects." In Globalization and Global Citizenship: Interdisciplinary Approaches, Irene Langran & Tammy Birk (Eds.), pp. 209-221 (Routledge)
- Vaughn Shannon. 2012. "Corruption in the Palestinian Authority and Israel" & "Comparative Corruption and the Challenge of Reform" (with Charles Funderburk and Julie Fisher), in Political Corruption in Comparative Perspective (Ashgate)
- Vaughn Shannon. 2009. "The Middle East Peace Process after 9/11." In America's War on Terror, 2nd edition, Tom Lansford, Robert Watson & Jack Covarrubias (eds.), pp. 169-182 (Ashgate)
- Vaughn Shannon. 2007. "Iran and the Middle East: The Pursuit of Security and Legitimacy in the American Age." In Strategic Interests in the Middle East, Jack Covarrubias & Tom Lansford (eds.), pp. 171-196 (Ashgate)
- Vaughn Shannon. 2003. "The Politics of the Middle East Peace Process and the War on Terror." In America's War on Terror, Patrick Hayden, Tom Lansford & Robert Watson (eds.), pp. 79-104 (Ashgate)
Select Interviews and Media
- Interview with the Country Intel Podcast, October 2021
- Interviewed by Josh Sweigart for DDN, "Experts Eye Militia Groups as a Growing Threat," January 24, 2021 https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/experts-eye-militia-groups-as-a-growing-threat/BP5OX7ZWGVBNJGON7ZEXZABNCA/
- Interviewed by ABC 22/Fox 45, January 6, 2020, with Nathan Edwards. "Expert Breaks Down Growing Conflict between US and Iran": https://dayton247now.com/news/morning-show/expert-breaks-down-growing-conflict-between-us-and-iran
- And Elyse Coulter: https://twitter.com/dayton247now/status/1214164310517256192
- Interviewed by WDTN, January 3, 2020, "Expert: What Led to US and Iran Conflict, and Bombing of Iran Leader." https://www.wdtn.com/news/expert-what-led-to-us-and-iran-conflict-and-bombing-of-iran-leader/
- Interviewed by DDN, January 3, 2020, "Local Experts See Attack on Iranian General Sparking Further Unrest." https://www.daytondailynews.com/business/local-experts-see-iraq-attacks-sparking-further-unrest/0R6gWCm9XCyBmjDNtySzAO/
- Interviewed by WSU Guardian October 3, 2019. "Dayton's Not Dead: DCOWA and Global Views/Local Brews." https://wsuguardian.com/daytons-not-dead/
- Interviewed by WSU Guardian April 25, 2018, "Understanding the U.S. led Airstrikes in Syria," https://www.theguardianonline.com/news/2018/04/25/understanding-the-u-s-...
- Interviewed by WSU Guardian January 24, 2018, "Trump Withholds Money from UN Relief Agency." https://www.theguardianonline.com/news/2018/01/24/trump-withholds-money-...
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News for "U.S. Pilots, Troops could face increased risk in Syria," April 9, 2017 <http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/breaking-news/pilots-troops-could-... >
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News for "Trump's Order Gets mixed reviews from Ohio lawmakers, campus leaders," January , 2017 <http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/trump-order-gets-mixed-reviews... and WHIO: http://www.whio.com/news/local/trump-order-gets-mixed-reviews-from-ohio-...
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News for "Safety After Orlando: How far Should We Go?" June 19, 2016 <http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/crime-law/safety-after-orland...
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News for “Expert: Apology helped expedite release of sailors.” January 15, 2016 http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/expert-apology-helped-expedite-release-of-us-sailo/np6Dn/
- Interviewed by WDTN for “A new kind of fight against Terrorism.” December 8, 2015 http://wdtn.com/2015/12/08/a-new-kind-of-fight-against-terrorism/
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News, “Some Experts favor boots on ground, with help from Allies.” November 17, 2015 http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/some-experts-favor-boots-on-ground-with-help-from-/npP4p/
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News, "Fantasy or New Hope? Observers React to Deal with Iran." July 15, 2015 and WHIO: http://www.whio.com/news/fantasy-new-hope-observers-react-deal-with-iran...
- Interviewed by Elite Daily, “The Takeover of Ramadi Shows We Have No Clue How to Defeat ISIS.” May 20, 2015 http://elitedaily.com/news/politics/isis-ramadi-takeover-no-clue-defeat/1039605/
- Interviewed by Columbus Disptach, "For Americans, War in Middle East Just Drags On." September 29, 2014 http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/09/29/for-americans-w... or https://stivers.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=397667
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News, "Back to Iraq." September 15, 2014
- "ISIS: As Bad As You've Heard (Mostly)." Dayton Daily News, August 23, 2014
- Interviewed by WHIO Channel 7, June 13, 2014 http://www.whio.com/videos/news/local-professor-speaks-on-unrest-in-iraq/vCdtqG/
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News, June 13, 2014 http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/iraqi-woman-who-works-with-ohio-guard-we-are-so-sc/ngK7s/
- “Diplomacy may bear fruit in Syria.” Dayton Daily News, September 17, 2013 http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/news/news/opinion/diplomacy-may-bear-fruit-in-syria/nZySR/
- “Locals react to fall of Gadhafi’s rule in Libya.” August 22, 2011 <http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/locals-react-to-fall-of-gadhafis-rule-in-libya/nMtY6/>
- Interviewed by Dayton Daily News, "Air Force Base Work Likely Played Role in bin Laden's Downfall." May 2, 2011
- “Wright State Experts offer insights on death of bin Laden.” WSU Newsroom, May 2, 2011 <https://webapp2.wright.edu/web1/newsroom/2011/05/02/wright-state-experts-offer-insights-on-death-of-bin-laden/>
- The Guardian, WSU Student newspaper, February 16, 2011, interviewed by Nate Bendickson in “WSU Professor Responds to popular revolution in Egypt,” p. 6.
- “Local Egyptian-Americans Happy, but wary of future.” Dayton Daily News, February 12, 2011, interviewed by Joanne Huist Smith and Lynn Hulsey, p. A8.
Book & Film Reviews
- Review of "Dual Containment Policy in the Persian Gulf: The USA, Iran and Iraq." British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies (July 2017)
- "ISIS: Birth of a Terrorist State," Review of Middle East Studies 50(2): 179-181 (2016)
- "Do Rights Make Fights?" International Studies Review (2014)
- "English Schooled: International Society Between Hegemony and Jihad." International Studies Review (2010)
- "Threat Perception & the Psychology of Constructivism." International Studies Review (2007)
- "Framing and Shaming." International Studies Review (2005)
- "American Orientalism." Journal of Cold War Studies (2005)
- "Presidential Judgment." White House Studies (2002)